Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR6er Avatar
TR6er Larry Sisco
Naples, FL, USA   USA
What is the trick to installing the plastic accelerator bearings in the firewall? I have removed the accelerator pedal/rod assembly and where it penetrates the firewall, there were no grommets or bearings. Bought the replacements and they are made of hard rigid plastic. No flexibility. Who out there has a trick to getting these installed?

Larry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
accelerator bearing.JPG    48.7 KB
accelerator bearing.JPG

Bearing.JPG    24.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Best bet is to purchase some urethane ones from Chris witor in England. Since you already have the rigid ones, don't use a little screwdriver to install them. The last time I installed them, I had to put the rigid piece into a coffee cup and microwave it for 30 seconds and then again a second time to get it pliable enough to install. It kind of hurts your hand a little but they popped right in. I'm curious if someone has a better way to do them. Good luck, Kyle.

Captanno Dan Valentini
Rocklin, California, USA   USA
Have you looked at the buckeye triumphs.org website? They have a nice breakdown on replacing those bushings.
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AccBearing/AccBearing.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR6er Avatar
TR6er Larry Sisco
Naples, FL, USA   USA
Great tips, still have some work to figure this one out on which way to go.

Larry

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
Larry---If you want to use the ones you have, installing them can be made easier by snipping or hacksawing sort of a pie-shaped wedge across to the center hole. Removing this piece allows the main body to be squeezed in. Doing this alteration not compromise their ability to hold the pedal rod in place. It's still a somewhat awkward installation but do-able.

Some owners have gone to a two piece flange at each end of the rod. I did it differently, using two pillow block bearings near each end, with the bearings brazed to base plates, races slid down onto a ( now polished) pedal rod, then these two plates bolted into the firewall. Simple grommets are then used to seal the rod openings where the former rod bushings used to reside. Unfortunately, what I did requires the engine to be out of the bay for installation. The result, done about 20 years ago, gives me a gas pedal with no lost motion up to the pinch bolt. Triumph probably had an open engine bay to work with when installing the original pedal rod bushings.

Dick

philstr6 phil Jaegeling
arroyo grande calif, USA   USA
Larry
try this way to install your bushings,6pack member just installed one
take a 1/4 in bolt with a washer and the your bushing from the engine side push it in with a 3/4 socket,washer and nut from inside the car and tighten the nut up untill the bushing comes thru.not sure how long the bolt needs to be,also 5/16 bolt wont work. this should work,good luck
Philstr6
Phil

philstr6 phil Jaegeling
Larry
need a little lube on the bushing,and probly two people
hope this helps Philstr6
Phil

TR6er Avatar
TR6er Larry Sisco
Naples, FL, USA   USA
That will work on the passenger side, but the driver side has to have the rod thru it or it won't go through the bearing and hole because of the angle.??

philstr6 phil Jaegeling
Larry
you might have to bend the rod a little to get it back thru,and then when you get it back thru,you have to strighten the rod back out,its worth a try,or go to Art lipp bushings
Philstr6
Phil

bespokeroadster Avatar
bespokeroadster Patrick Huckels
Aurora, Colorado, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Jolly Green Triumph"
I had to jump onto this blog as I had the same problem when installing the rigid bushings into my car's foot-well holes.
Images of Larry and Mo banging each side of a socket, pipe or anything else against their numb-skulls comes to mind, to persuade those >%*$ things to get into their holes....
What I did was cut 1/4 of the bushing away (I know that this makes most of your toes curl) and then you can bend the bushing into submission and get it into the hole. I left the cut-out portion in the less wear area towards the firewall. Okay, a few points off of concourse but at least it worked and is working. It sounds better than metal to metal in my book.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
I did something like that when I had my 74, Patrick. It never gave me any problems.

Timothy2963 Avatar
Timothy2963 Timothy Fox
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi,

I know that this is an old post but I have been trying to install those wretched bushes into the firewall with no success. After trying some of the suggestions in this post I only ended up with bloodied knuckles. I started the Google search and came up with the following which I have just ordered and if it works (and it should), then it will be a great help to others I'm sure.

GoodParts in the USA make a kit called "Accelerator Shaft Bushing Kit, Nylatron, TR250-TR6, Spit, GT6"

https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?ukey=home

US $29.00
Product code (SKU): 2651
Weight: 1 lbs

They say:

"Replace your worn or rotted rubber accelerator shaft bushings with Good Parts Nylatron bushings for precise throttle control. No need to remove the lever from the shaft or remove the shaft from the car. The bushing and stainless steel lock collar for the driver's side are split so they can be installed with the shaft in place."

Hoping this will help someone else!

Cheers from Australia!

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Most of us have gone to several of the newer style bushings offered or created our own remedy after being defeated by the simple OEM ones. BUT, I sure would like to know how the Triumph factory assembly line did them. Doubtful that they used two workers, or cut a quarter of the bushing away, hacked them up, or heated them all while the car is moving down an assembly line. I tried several methods to install the OEM ones all with no success. I did use up a few bandage on cut fingers and knuckles. From an engineering standpoint I'd just like to know how they did it, I bet it was a stupid simple method or special tool. It remains a Triumph mystery. All our manuals just say -replace as necessary.

wavan Frank Van Den Dorpel
Chilliwack, british columbia, Canada   CAN
what I did was slice thru one side & rolled them in,well lubed.still a bit of a grunt,but it worked.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Same here...doing it that way also eliminates the need to remove the shaft... I do have the GP kit standing by for the next time..if I live that long.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links