AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brett E Brett Evans
Columbus, Ohio, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Scarlet Harlot"
Brad Penn 20W-50

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
I've been using Mobil 1 15W50 in my TR6 for 28 years. I rebuilt the engine and ran it for the break-in period on 30wt. conventional, but switched to Mobil 1 at 1000 miles. Obviously, I can't see ANY reason not to use synthetic.

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I use Mobil 1 15W-50, I'm happy and the six is too (change it once a year before storing for the winter). I use Mobil 1 in my other 3 cars and Amsoil in my diesel tractor. I put synthetic fluids in everything that holds and uses oil (gear boxes, diff's, power steering, axles, transmissions and small engines...all Amsoil).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gtener Avatar
gtener Greg Tener
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
Brad Penn 20/50 here also. No problems.

edfmay Edwin May
Loveland, Colorado, USA   USA
I listened to the experts and went with Brad Penn 20/50. It has the highest concentration of zink and sulphur for our flat tappet engines.
This is what the Roadster Factory recommends.

A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
Redline 10w-60 here.

Patrick67 Avatar
Patrick67 Pat L
farfaraway, Qu├ębec, Canada   CAN
Valvoline VR1 20/50 ZDDP already in it....

Pat

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
There is a very good article in the Library on this site on this very subject, written by a man knowledgeable AND with credentials.
http://www.triumphexp.com/article/todays-oil.html

I became interested in lubricants 20 odd years ago and took it upon myself to learn a little about engine and transmission lubricants. I thought I would have the subject 'nailed' in a week. But, Decades later I now know enough to know how little I know!

Motor oil is a complex suject!!

Yet people STILL rely on the expertise of people like the 'the guy behind the counter' at Autozone, a sales pitch to buy a boutique brand sold by a parts suppier or what their father always used to use 40 years ago.

ZDDP is a buzz word when oil is talked about in classic car circles these days.
Most people do not know what it is, or how it works within a formulation. But the Government wants it reduced, So some people think more of it must be better!
Snake oil manufacturers (that need not meet any certification ) sell a formulation of it as an additive, presumably to people who would arbitrarily just add a teaspoon of salt to a chefs stew, not caring that it has already been seasoned to perfection.

In a formulation ZDDP is Cheap! If it was beneficial to use the maximum allowed amount* manufacturers would do so. However, just like a chef's soup, a formulation does not depend on one component or ingredient.

*the maximum allowed depends on the classification of oil, Passenger car, or Heavy Duty

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Second the Shell Rotella T4. I talked to an engineer at She'll and it not only has a high zinc content, it also is high in phosphates, good detergent properties, and also resists moisture. I have had great success with it. After break in that is.

Perry

okanagan tr8 Avatar
okanagan tr8 Gary Stoutenburg
Kelowna, Canada   CAN
TomChar Avatar
TomChar Silver Member Tom Coulter
Springfield, PA, USA   USA
I've been using Valvoline VR1 oils since I bought my car several years ago. I'm concerned it's getting changed, since a few months ago Autozone cleaned out their stock selling it all at $2-3 a quart. I now have several years worth, so I'm not that concerned.

Tom
1974 TR6 CF24871UO

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1479388 by TomChar I've been using Valvoline VR1 oils since I bought my car several years ago. I'm concerned it's getting changed, since a few months ago Autozone cleaned out their stock selling it all at $2-3 a quart. I now have several years worth, so I'm not that concerned.

Tom from everything I read it was a packaging change only.....and I missed out on all the clearances here, kept getting beat out by other forum members, so Amazon it is.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I use Mobil1 15w40 syn in my Tr8. I will use it in my '71 TR6 when it's back on line. Both cars originally wanted 20w50 motor oil and both engines have flat tappets. Premature cam wear in this type of engine is a major issue with modern motor oils with lower ZDDP levels. I know this is a pretty old thread but for current ZDDP levels in Mobil 1 look here and scroll to the viscosity you're into.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
Does your Synthetic have a zinc additive?

I run 20w40 Castrol GTX in the spitfire...

How come you guys run 50w? Because of the 6 cyl?

Tote Tony M
Kingston, Ontario, Canada   CAN
You want to look for an engine oil with a high zinc additive amongst other things (all oils back in the day had it, but newer engines don't need it as much, so its been reduced). Normally these oils are specialty oils and are 40 or 50 weight. It seems every oil company has their high-zinc oil. As long as you use one of them you'll be fine. Look for "good for classic cars" in the description. The TR6 owners manual calls for a range of motor oils from 30 weight up to 50 in the summer. Big lump'o iron the TR6 engine, just wants regular changes and with a bit'o zinc...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links