AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
AllanJ71MGB Allan Johnson
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Hi Everyone,

Quick question.... Is it possible/advisable to replace the rear main seal /gasket without pulling the engine?

When I pulled my transmission for rebuild I had a lot of oil in the bell housing from a front seal leak. With that much oil, I was figuring it was all from the transmission seals/gaskets which were clearly leaking. I installed everything back into the car.

I have to pull the transmission again (OD issues - I didn't rebuild that part) and I noticed oil drips again from around the rear plate. While it is possible my trans seals are leaking again, I doubt it. I tend to think that the engine seal was simultaneously bad with the transmission seals.

Can the seals / gasket be replaced from the inside of the car when I pull the transmission?

Thanks,

-Allan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
The seal is within it's own removable cast metal housing behind the flywheel and rear engine plate. While it might be possible to replace the seal with only the flywheel removed, I think you'll be a better job with the plate removed, so you can remove the seal housing. If there is a groove worn into the crank, you can either set the seal at a different depth within it's housing or install a speedi sleeve on the crank.
Replacing the seal, gasket and copper washer can be accomplished while the engine still sits in the car.

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Awesome. Thanks Poolboy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brett E Brett Evans
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Scarlet Harlot"
To get the rear main oil seal housing out you'll have to remove two bolts at the rear of the oil pan and it's likely that the oil pan gasket will have to be replaced because it runs under the housing.

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Thanks Brett. This sounds like it is going to be a bigger task than I bargained for. Supporting the engine from the back with no backplate, pan, or hoist is going to be tricky.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
You should not have to remove the pan...It wouldn't have been good practice to glue the sump gasket to the engine block, which includes that 6 inch space occupied by the bottom of the crankshaft seal housing...Even if the gasket does tear, Permatex makes some real good gasket making products that come in tubes to fill any voids.
But if you're careful and have a razor blade or box cutter, you can usually separate the part from the gasket....Be bold..sometimes that's the only way to accomplish a worthwhile task.

Brett E Brett Evans
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Scarlet Harlot"
In my case the PO used a gasket cement that must have been created by Tony Stark, It took a chisel, a wire brush and several hours to get it off the pan. The section of gasket that ran under the seal housing shredded when I removed the housing. I just put everything back together (minus the 2 bolts) and after reinstalling the gearbox I dropped the pan and replaced the gasket. I was changing the oil anyway and it gave me a chance to wipe the sludge out of the bottom of the pan.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links