Tonneau Cover fasteners

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
I need to make repairs to the front four fasteners on my tonneau. I read an archive msg on this forum that the orig. hardware used was sail eyelets, however "lift the dot" fasteners could also be used. Anyone have the dot fasteners installed and how durable are they?
Thanks,
Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
moneytime Avatar
moneytime Milt Patnor
denver, CO, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Old Nellie"
Hi, I took my tonneau cover to an upholstery place and they installed a few missing fasteners for about $10.00. Good luck!

DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
I installed dot fasteners on my new tonneau cover last year. I sourced them from TRF and they appear to be fairly durable, though I haven't had them for very long.

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
I went to a couple of upholstery shops near me and they don't have plastic snaps so I would have to supply them which is no big deal, but neither shop had any lift the dot fasteners. So I guess I have to supply those also. Derek, what TRF part no did you use when you ordered your Dot fasteners?

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Have you 'googled' "lift the dot", Bob ?

DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
TRF lists the lift-the-dot fasteners as part 552650-1

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Ken, I have googled it, but since the stud on the crash pad is not really a dot fastener I wanted to be sure that what I got would fit. Not really sure if there are more then one size on these types of fasteners, but if some has used them from a particular source and they work I can go that route. Anyway I'm always adding to my list of goodies to order. When I was looking at my cover and the "Sail Eyelets" or whats left of them I thought it was a repair by the PO, but after looking at some pictures of tonneau covers turns out that's how they came from the factory.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
So, Bob, (trying to understand) are you looking to replace whatever is currently on the dash with 4 male pegs for lift-the-dot fasteners and replace whatever is currently on the tonneau with the lift-the-dot female fasteners ?

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Looking to go with the Female portion on the cover. I read in the forum archives that dot fasteners could be used on the tonneau and that they would clasp on the factory pegs on the crash pad. The only concern would be that you have to be dead on with the dot fastener location on the tonneau whereas with the sail eyelet it has a larger diameter hole to line up with the peg.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I don't guess I know what 'sail eyelets' are Bob.
Are there any on this page that you can show me ?
http://www.perfectfit.com/15333/Lift--the--Dot-Fasteners.html

hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, MN, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
Put the orig. type on. Look great and are easy to install. OEM always work best.
Try RTF for them. That:s where i get my stuff. Their Great people to work with.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6greenbook/91.php

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Ken, if you go to Moss's website its part no. 802-358. They provide a good picture of the eyelet.

Doug, thanks for the link to TRF. True, I can always go OEM, however I think Lift the Dot looks better and works better IMHO.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Thanks Bob..
Yeah, lift the dot will probably work better especially when the passenger side is closed and you're going about 70.
I have lift-the-dot on the dash and when a big truck comes flying along in the opposite direction that I'm flying along, you can see the passenger side want to billow up. I imagine without the spring locking feature of lift-the-dot the tonneau would come right off a sail eyelet.

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Ken
Even if your not going 70 I think its just a better system for this type of application. I seem to remember (44 years ago) on my 70 MGB that they used dot fasteners for the tonneau cover connection on the dash, funny that it did not carry over to the TR. Either way I will get it fixed.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links