Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

westy84 Scot W
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Helen"
I recently purchased a 1969 TR6 and I am looking for a carb rebuild kit for it. The carbs on it now are 175 CD2 (or so that top plates say). As I am relatively new to the community, can someone confirm that these carbs are correct. Also, first post here and as a new first time triumph owner I look forward to talking with you folks and sharing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180206_083728[1].jpg    43.7 KB
20180206_083728[1].jpg

20180206_083734[1].jpg    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180206_083741[1].jpg    42.4 KB
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
That looks like the ones you'd find on 69 TR6 (and TR250) cars.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Agree with Ken, they look just like my TR250 carbs. Send them to Ken and they'll come back like new. If you're new to this site, Ken is the carb man.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgnuts Avatar
Midgnuts Silver Member Dean Webb
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
Ditto,
X2 Brian
Scot you will be pleased with Ken's work.
dw

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
This fellow is reputable for kits:
I bought my kits from The Roadster Factory, but they sell Joe Curto kits.

http://joecurto.com/rebuild-kits-/

Then I studied the Buckeye Triumph website on how to rebuild the carbs.
Then, I sent my carbs to the Zenith-Stromberg carb guru- poolboy- who did an outstanding job. You should get a price from him, send him a private message.

Also: You might request a modification to your carbs- so that the fuel mixture can be adjusted.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 01:10 PM by Sapphire.

Attachments:
DSCF1134 (1).JPG    53.7 KB
DSCF1134 (1).JPG

DSCF1136 (1).JPG    57.6 KB
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Thanks for the endorsement, guys, It's much appreciated.
While I do rebuild and repair 175 ZS carbs, I try to limit my efforts to carbs that are currently in service but have developed problems or in need of repair,adjustment and sprucing up... all that including parts and labor plus return insured shipping, currently for 240 dollars
Most of the carbs you fellows have sent me fall into those categories and I'm thankful for your faith and confidence...
But these carbs, at least from the pictures need far more than that...more like a total 'restoration'.
On the rare occasion that I agree to get involved with a restoration, it takes quite a bit more time and effort.
Walt mentioned the modification so that the carbs will have mixture adjustability.
I have a freshly rebuilt pair with that modification, befitting 69 carbs for not a whole lot more than I'd have to charge to restore the crusty ones on Scot's engine.
I will remain open to either possibility, however I think it would definitely be a rewarding adventure should Scot accomplish the restoration himself following the Buckeye tutorial and end up with carbs that function as designed and looking good as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 02:36 PM by poolboy.

Attachments:
ADJUSTABLE JETS 002.JPG    33.5 KB
ADJUSTABLE JETS 002.JPG

westy84 Scot W
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Helen"
I appreciate all of the info guys. Also, Ken, you are right in that I would like to get this done on my own. I dont mind spending the time and the little bit of money on a rebuild kit and some spare parts if that's all it needs. I would, however, like to enlist your help if and when questions do come up during this carb resto. Thanks again guys!

Is this the correct rebuild kit for these carbs? I appears so.

https://mossmotors.com/rebuild-kit-genuine-zenith-stromberg-for-2-carburetors

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
That is a very basic kit. It will get most of things done, unfortunately not all.
One thing additional for sure you'll need is the Throttle Bypass Valve (TBV) Diaphragm kit 365-745 (X2) and I do not believe that particular kit contains the throttle shaft seals and cups 696-026 (X2)
The TBV gaskets I see in that kit you linked to are not the gaskets for 69 carbs,,,the Diaphragm kit will have the correct one along with 2 others not suitable for 69 carbs.
You may need new throttle shafts, but you won't know until you can examine the old ones where they rotate in the shaft seals.
You may want to go with the Master kit...but even it does not include the the TBV Diaphragm kit.

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Scot - follow Ken’s advice on kits and extra components - particularly on the throttle shaft seals and cups. I started from a similar spot as you on my TR250 - he gave me pointers and encouragement, and they came out great. Getting a good seal on the shafts is a big deal, so you don’t have vacuum leaks - it’s the only way you’ll ever have a smooth idle. But it’s not a bad job if you study steps that are posted here on the forum, and over at SixPack. Good luck.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
If you're not concerned about originality, might I suggest going with SU's. I have them on mine and they are much simpler to rebuild and tune, and do a great job as well. HS 6's are the ones, but you could do HD 8's as well. They get pretty spendy though.

Perry

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511953 by gbtr6 If you're not concerned about originality, might I suggest going with SU's. I have them on mine and they are much simpler to rebuild and tune, and do a great job as well. HS 6's are the ones, but you could do HD 8's as well. They get pretty spendy though.

Perry

HD 8's ! That's a honkin' big carb for a stock TR6 and the intake would be 1/4" too small.

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
I know the HD 8's are 2", but they work. Would have to have a cam and exhaust to handle them, and hog out the intake a bit. Better than webers.

Perry

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
zenithcarb.co.uk has a list of carbs that go on the tr6
-if you can't find it , PM me and i will help you out

-i have a set for 1975 tr6 along with the manifold on buy/sell if you get desperate

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster