AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
I think we understand that part.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
philstr6 phil Jaegeling
arroyo grande calif, USA   USA
Steven
see if you have this on the shaft(Cap) that unscrews the two shafts
Phil

Attachments:
IMG_0925.JPG    65.8 KB
IMG_0925.JPG

140421302 Steven Borabeck
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
At last! After much more banging, spraying and prying I finally got it loose. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Great work now the fun starts

cobrapatrol Avatar
cobrapatrol Gold Member Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA, USA   USA
Probably, you have yours off by now but I just had the same issue on my LH side. I'll assume that you have the half shaft flange already separated from the differential and there's no pressure binding the half shaft. On mine, the hub housing (the bearing carrier) was frozen into the trailing arm bore. I used lots of PB blaster around the 6 studs and at the flange parting surface at the backing plate to penetrate into the bore and some gentle tapping in a star pattern on the wheel flange to "rock" the frozen flange loose. If you have or can get a slide hammer that bolts directly onto the wheel studs that will definitely persuade it. On mine, there was a little rust between the iron flange and the aluminum bearing bore of the swing arm that kind of froze it around that flange. Like yours, the other side separated without any extra effort. You can draw the whole half shaft out through the swing arm bore after you work the flange free. And, yes, having six studs doesn't help either since any cocking just binds the flange against the studs also!

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
Yes, I did eventually get it off. However, it was more prying than spraying and banging. I do have a slide hammer for doing body work and was trying to figure out how to attach it when I finally got the axle off.

JimmyBb Avatar
JimmyBb Jim B
Verona, WI, USA   USA
The sliding spline joint should not be seized, first it was well lubricated and moves with every bump and corner. Probably the flange has corroded to the back of the brake. Your work should be aimed at the flange. Use lots of penetrating oil and let it sit over night. Be careful not to damage the bearing and watch your torques when reassembling. It’s pretty easy to strip the aluminum of the suspension arm

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
JimmyBb
Have a look at the picture Phil posted.
If the axle did have the locking collar seen in that picture as many replacement axles do, you can pull and pry on that hub until Domesday and the splines will not separate nor will the hub move much more than an inch until that collar is unscrewed no matter how much grease is coating that joint...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 05:04 PM by poolboy.

philstr6 phil Jaegeling
arroyo grande calif, USA   USA
Heres A better picture of the two spines
Phil

Attachments:
IMG_0926.JPG    62.7 KB
IMG_0926.JPG

JimmyBb Avatar
JimmyBb Jim B
Verona, WI, USA   USA
I was not aware of the possibility. My axles did not look like that at all. Longer splines and no locking ring. Nic to know the option exists

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
In all truth, I found out the hard way, Jim...several of us did.
We were having a tech session...3 TR6's gathered together to put keenserts into the trailing arms for the studs to bite into.
The first 2 cars all went well, but on the last car we just couldn't get one of those hubs more than an inch out of the TA...Finally when we were just about to give up one of three of us noticed the collar on that axle.
And, that was the reason I kept interrogating Steven Borabeck, figuring that might have been his circumstance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 08:01 PM by poolboy.

PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I'm still a bit confused about this collar you are discussing. Is it shown in the picture? As far as I can tell the part I had trouble with isn't even shown. It would have been the part connected to the universal joint that is missing.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Yes..in the middle of the axle, you'll see that it's threaded. The 'collar' is the slightly larger component screwed onto those threads.
Like the typical drive shaft, that axle can not be pulled apart and separated at the splines until the collar is unscrewed.
And of course if you could not separate the axle at the splines you would not have been able to do this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 10:00 PM by poolboy.

Attachments:
100_1233.jpg    37.5 KB
100_1233.jpg

South San Frncisco, CA, USA   USA
glad mine didn't have that locking collar, not sure i would ever have figured that out...
w

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Just curious I worked on a number of 6's and never seen that locking color on an axel before were they produced on a specific year or were made for a different model car

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links