Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
The front LH mount on the hardtop is being problematic. The bolt used to loosen up, so I would snug it back. Now, the bolt just spins. I started with the idea that the bolt had stripped and tried to lever the top up while trying to loosen the bolt. Once the leverage is removed, the bolt spins easily, making me wonder if maybe the captive nut or whatever has broken loose. Anyone been here, done that before me? (Surely). Ideas and theories greatly appreciated!

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Doubledroptop Avatar
Doubledroptop David Freet
Chandler, AZ, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "White Ghost"
Hello Chris,
If you are talking about the windscreen to hardtop bolt then yes the hardtop has a captive nut in it. To properly repair will have to remove headliner. The nut floats a little to allow for alignment.

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Dave. So, any idea how to get the bolt out now? If a person undid the headliner, would you be able to get some vice grips or such up there to hold the nut and cage then turn the bolt?

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
Best of luck with this! I had a VERY similar issue with my TR6 Hardtop as someone had tried to put an SAE bolt in the Whitworth nut that is in the top. I worked on concepts of trying to grab the nut and after heating and bending some vice grips I did manage to get the bolt free.

IMO, the best and really only fix is painful and includes cutting an access hole from the top, fixing the captive nut and patching/painting the access hole. BEST OF LUCK and I hope someone comes up with a much better method!!

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Me too!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
titanic Berry P
Albany, OR, USA   USA
Chris-I encountered the same problem a few years ago. I was able to peel the headliner ( maybe even cut a small slit) back enough to grab the caged nut with a small vise grip and remove the bolt. After cleaning out the rusty threads, I think I drilled&tapped a hole through the cage&nut for a small (#6)screw to prevent the nut from turning in the future. I think it is a good idea to clean the threads with a tap&die and apply a light coat of oil on the bolt to prevent rust from forming in the future.
Incidentally, I believe the bolt is 5/16"-24 (SAE), not Whitworth.
I hope you won't have to resort to cutting a hole in the top of the HT.
Berry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
You are probably right about the threads since I grabbed what I believe was an NF bolt and they went in easily on both sides. Remvoing the headliner isn't something to look forward to, but it beats having a hardtop that won't stay tight and won't come off. Thanks!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster