Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
Hey Vance, here is a closer shot of the 2 shuttles. In my mind, neither can take the square lip type seals, they both take the O rings. I don't understand why one is so much shorter than the other but then again, does it really matter?

Not sure a shorter shuttle contributes to my leakage.

Andy

In reply to # 1509156 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1509078 by gr8britt Thanks guys,

Brian, The bores on mine are perfectly smooth and I did learn about the O ring material after browsing the many forums relating to the PDWA and I'm right onboard with what you say. A good article from the Buckeye Triumph guys but it didn't really help me but I did see their shuttle which matched my shorter one.

Vance, I understand the different types of shuttle but the 2 you see in the photo are the same and both take the O ring type seals. I will just have to get another PWDA repair kit and try again, maybe with the longer shuttle, who knows, it might work!

Cheers
Andy

I used Viton O-rings, which is a flouro-elastomer as opposed to Buna-N which is a simple rubber compound. I neglected to mention that. Viton is frequently green, but can also be black. It is much denser than plain old Buna. Said 'Viton' right on the package.

As to the round versus square seals; Andy, are you certain about that? There were two styles of shuttle, depending on the model year, one was for square, and the other was for round seals. The square seals were NLA as I recall, but that was 16 years ago so my memory is not to be trusted. I have used round seals where square ones were specified, and had good results, but then I am a bit cavalier about these things.

Are you saying that both are for round seals because when you disassembled them they both had round seals? You cannot depend on that of course, since who knows what evil SOB (like me!) substituted round for square to get things working. grinning smiley

If you are certain about that, then I stand corrected. It wouldn't be the first time I got some detail incorrect. sad smiley

Vance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2018-01-22 14.08.43.jpg    32.3 KB
2018-01-22 14.08.43.jpg

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
Great information guys, its always good to hear other peoples experiences.

I think I found a possible reason for the leak, a nic was spotted in one of the O rings but not sure if it was there prior to install or it got cut by the switch hole when sliding it in. I won't know for sure until I change the seals again.
I have attached a photo which shows it clearly, does on my phone at least.

Thanks for the replies
Andy

Attachments:
2018-01-24 20.26.59.jpg    28 KB
2018-01-24 20.26.59.jpg

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Yep, there's your problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1948 Triumph 1800 Roadster

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links