AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Alloy Fuel Tank From Moss?
  This topic is about my 1973 Triumph TR6
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
I'm having to replace the original fuel tank on my 1973 TR6. Someone in the past tried coating the tank, but only coated it about 75% of the way up the sides and nothing on the top. I found about 1/4 inches of rust particles on the bottom. There is severe corrosion on the inside top and bottom outside in one area about 3 - 4 inches X 10 inches. I may have decided to go with a Moss steel tank to stay original looking. I considered a Moss aluminum tank, but was concerned from two points. In an earlier post, someone complained about the Moss aluminum tank precluding the carrying of his spare tire/wheel. http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1299954,page=2 . See post #22. I don't understand how the Moss aluminum fuel tank could interfere with the installation of the spare, but that is what he stated.

The second question I have concerns the shape of the Moss aluminum fuel tank. I understand the Moss steel tank looks original. What does the Moss aluminum tank look like? I actually prefer an aluminum tank if it looks original and doesn't interfere with the spare since the aluminum tank would likely outlast me.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-21 04:21 PM by glcaines.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
I now understand why the Moss alloy tank precludes storage of a spare tire. It also appears that the Moss steel tank is also flat-bottomed and causes difficulties with the spare. I'm running 205 tires on the car and have a 195 tire mounted on the spare wheel. Unless I'm missing something it appears that neither size can be used as a spare with a flat-bottomed tank. I looked at the Alicool tanks from the UK. They look fantastic, are alloy construction, hold an extra 18 liters of fuel and are advertised as not causing any interference with the spare. Total capacity is 66 liters (17.4 U.S. Gal). The cost is 350 GBP ($485.84 USD) and 20 GBP for powder coating black if desired, plus shipping. It is supposed to be a direct fit into all TR4, TR5 and TR6 cars.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links