TR6 Tech Forum

How to remove the speedometer drive pinion assembly

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Leonardtown, MD, USA   USA
I've loosened the peg bolt (but can't get it all the way out). I've managed to pry the assembly out slightly with a screwdriver. But it won't come out any further. Am I missing something; is there a technique or trick to get it out?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Seems suspicious to me that you can't get the retaining bolt out. Sounds like something is messed up in there. Normally, the bolt should come out easily.

The drive can be a bit tougher. Screw on an old speedo cable (or just the nut if that's what you have) and pry under the edge of the nut, on both sides at the same time (so the force is straight out instead of at an angle).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Thanks, Randall. The peg bolt is out about a half inch and will freely rotate by hand but I can’t pull it out all the way. I think you are right, there is something amiss in there. I’ve pried on the speedo cable nut and can pull the assembly out about 1/2 inch and that’s it! I can push it back in and pull it out the 1/2 inch with little force. Could the o-ring be jamming things?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
I wouldn't try to pry on the drive assembly until you can get the locking bolt completely out. There really shouldn't be anything holding it. When you do pull the drive assembly make sure you put equal pressure on all sides evenly to keep from cocking it. The assembly should pull out with your fingers if everything is OK.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

Thanks. I'll take your advice and work on the locking bolt.

You were right, we had to get the peg bolt out first. This is what we learned:
It seems the previous owner, in attempting to fix the speedometer, lost the original peg bolt. He substituted a regular bolt that fit into the shaft but did not fit into the peg bolt hole. So in order to keep the assembly from rotating he really cranked down on the bolt and managed to slightly mushroom the end of it against the assembly. We had to knock the bolt out by hammering against it with a large screwdriver and hammer. We did get it out. However, in mushrooming the bolt against the assembly, he also distorted the assembly Itself and we can’t get it out! I’ll be driving with just a tach now - and that’s ok with me.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links