Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Another dumb question from someone that has never worked on these type of carbs. The car I am working on has been sitting for 25 years. How do you replace the oil?

They seem to have some in there still.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Is that all you want to do to the carbs after 25 years, James ?
There's a rubbery diaphragm that is probably in need of replacement at the very least, but most of the unseen rubbery, flexible components and seals are probably shot.
Anyway, if that's as far as you want to go then you can get a soda straw and pipette out the remaining oil.
This link may help if you want to learn more about your carbs.
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 08:51 AM by poolboy.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507070 by allzway The car I am working on has been sitting for 25 years. How do you replace the oil?

To remove small quantities of fluid, use a Monoject 412 (attached pic). Will suck it right into the tube.
3 for $5. at auto parts store.

However, if the oil has been in the Earth for a million years, another 25 is a drop in the bucket- should be good, protected inside the dash pot.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 10:11 AM by Sapphire.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF1133 (1).JPG    48.4 KB
DSCF1133 (1).JPG

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507071 by poolboy Is that all you want to do to the carbs after 25 years, James ?
There's a rubbery diaphragm that is probably in need of replacement at the very least, but most of the unseen rubbery, flexible components and seals are probably shot.
Anyway, if that's as far as you want to go then you can get a soda straw and pipette out the remaining oil.
This link may help if you want to learn more about your carbs.
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

Thanks.. I doubt that is all that will be required. I just hopped into this thread since I don't know a thing about these carbs and I had looked into the pot's.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In the photo,
you can see the approximate level where the piston on the dash pot dipstick should meet oil resistance- when lowered into the dash pot chamber.

In case any body does not know it, poolboy has a retirement sideline as a Zenith-Stromberg Carburetor rebuilder.
He can do things to tune your carbs that you didn't even know needed doing.
He rebuilt mine, see how nice they look?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 12:02 PM by Sapphire.

Attachments:
DSCF1133 (2).JPG    68.8 KB
DSCF1133 (2).JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Please read up on the carbs, they are not complicated or mysterious.

Somehow many (mainly Americans) get fixated on the oil thing. It's not 'that' important, it just acts as a damper, like the oil in a shock absorber.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
A TR hack/shade tree mechanic can likely get the diaphragms replaced, set the float levels, adjust the idle speed, the chokes, and get the carbs balanced enough to run the engine.

I have done this for 47 years of TR ownership.

With my current 1972 TR6, I bought it 6 years ago, it ran & propelled me around the back roads well enough.

But understand this- there is a difference between finishing the race versus getting on the podium.

When- for a very minimal fee- I had the opportunity to have the carbs set-up by an expert, I went for it. No regrets, much happiness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 02:17 PM by Sapphire.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Thanks Walt I sincerely appreciate your endorsement.thumbs up
I guess it's a bit ironic that in 1979 I gave up on a otherwise pretty good P1800 because I nor anyone else I knew at the time could figure out how to straighten out it's ZS carbs...confused smiley
When I got that 74 TR6, it's carbs were also messed up....but this time I was bound and determined to not let those ZS carbs beat me..

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1507133 by poolboy Thanks Walt I sincerely appreciate your endorsement.thumbs up
I guess it's a bit ironic that in 1979 I gave up on a otherwise pretty good P1800 because I nor anyone else I knew at the time could figure out how to straighten out it's ZS carbs...confused smiley
When I got that 74 TR6, it's carbs were also messed up....but this time I was bound and determined to not let those ZS carbs beat me..

Interesting. Isn't it often the way that you consider some things unfathomable. Then, at some point the 'light comes on' and it all becomes as clear as day.

I was the same with tranmissions.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links