More exhaust installation questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I have placed my stainless steel Rimmer exhaust system under my frame and it all seems to lay out perfectly. I did have to cut the first intermediate pipes to make them shorter to fit over the header extension, but that seemed to work well.
My tub is off the car and the exhaust is easily reached from just about anywhere that I need to do so and I wanted to permanently install everything except the mufflers while it is easy to reach.
I do have the HDVA 5 speed and the infinity r200 differential, so I may be missing some of the standard exhaust hanging spots that were there on the original 1972 design, plus the change to the Rimmer dual silencer exhaust.
I know if I could bring it to a muffler shop just like this, they would know exactly what to do, but I am hoping to do it without moving it.
Can’t I just fabricate some custom hangers along the exhaust? Am I correct that I don’t want it touching the frame anywhere along the path? Do I keep it off the bottom of the t-shirt making sure it does not touch?
I have used a local ‘traveling welder’ who would come to me for anything I need welding, but he has no knowledge of exhaust systems, so I will have to design the hangers and tell him what to do.
Is it really that easy and are there any tricks I need to know before making some permanent brackets and hangers?
I am attaching a picture of the exhaust as I currently have it placed, but not clamped in any way. Any council would be very welcome.
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
6871474A-A4C0-425E-8974-81B967F82291.jpeg    52.5 KB
6871474A-A4C0-425E-8974-81B967F82291.jpeg

dmtrmp6 Daryl M
FADDEN, ACT, Australia   AUS
Jim,

Following website may be of help - has a number of photographs showing installed exhaust, clearance through the t-shirt area, brackets etc. triumph gearbox, twin pipe exhaust and muffler assembly.

http://www.sportscarshop.com/1976-triumph-tr6-3/

Also Rimmers graphic of the exhaust system provides reasonable images of the various brackets/mounts.

Hope this helps, Rgds, Daryl M

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
Thanks Daryl! Yes, those are great pictures and they help.
I am thinking I can weld a bar right behind the transmission and put a hanger on it since my HVDA conversion removes the bracket that I would otherwise use.
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster