AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504712 by tapkaJohnD
In reply to # 1504580 by Perdido John,
Thanks for the information and I’m vaguely aware of most of that, but my interest is really in discussing TR performance. If you haven’t been on the MG Experience site you might want to check it out to see what I mean.
Thanks, Rut

If you don't know who Kastner is .... follow the links.
GT is most interested in Jaguars these days, and he's an abrasive character, but his book is exclusively Triumph, and very performance,
Vizard was a multi-marque tuning man, but he wrote the book about b****y "Tuning Triumphs over 1300c" , in other words 2 and 2.5L cars, for goodness sake!

Just been on the MG Experience site, and the threads start with, "Headlight upgrades" and go on to "passenger foot rest" etc.
Lots about tuning, etc, but so are those books. What more do you want?

Joh

John,
I have Vizards book along with other information and yes, I do know who Kastner is, and while the MG Experience Performance site is not perfect, there are some good discussions. What more do I want? I would like discussions on Triumph Performance from people who have done it, people who want to, and people who are interested in the subject.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Rut, thanks for putting that up, very cool. I have done the usual up grades to my six and have opinions on them if someone wants to hear. Dan

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1504723 by dsixnero Rut, thanks for putting that up, very cool. I have done the usual up grades to my six and have opinions on them if someone wants to hear. Dan

Dan,
Thanks, and I would love to hear more about your TR6! I love reading about and discussing things from the most mundane to the more complex if it has something to do with our LBCs. I’m one of those guys who likes AHs, MGs, TRs, Porsche’s, Jeeps, etc. I’m constantly looking at things from the perspective of how things can be improved because it intrigues me and I even give some of them a try, some work, some fail, but all entertain. I don’t have a background in anything automotive, but I enjoy it all...body, mechanical, electrical (my least favorite) and it keeps me out of trouble with my wife!
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
maxd Avatar
maxd Bill D
Fort Pierce, FL, USA   USA
I fail to see why anyone of us would be opposed to a discussion about anything having to do with TR's.
Bill

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Quote: John,
I have Vizards book along with other information and yes, I do know who Kastner is, and while the MG Experience Performance site is not perfect, there are some good discussions. What more do I want? I would like discussions on Triumph Performance from people who have done it, people who want to, and people who are interested in the subject.
Rut

OK, I race the last racing Vitesse in the UK, possibly the world, as the Candy Box seems to have retired and I've seen none from NZ recently.
You're welcome to read my contributions, or to ask anything you would like to know.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-28 11:53 AM by tapkaJohnD.

Attachments:
a.jpg    29.1 KB
a.jpg

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
While the books that are listed are great for tuning, There are plenty of modern upgrades for the TRiumph ranges that aren’t really covered in those books.

Good or bad, they’re out there

My only issue with a performance forum which has been mentioned is having all the ranges in one forum can get busy.

You can start performance threads in the forums already listed

I don’t mind either way

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
The principal reason that I do not encourage addition of another page on this TR Forum is the already low traffic. Clearly, posts on TR performance options would not overburden this page nor get lost in the volume of other posts. If you look at the MGE forum, especially the B page, you'll see how much more active it is. This is fully logical based on the number of vehicles of the 2 differing marks.

Nemo74 Emile Bergeron
Falmouth, MA, USA   USA
I'd be interested in that type of forum, since I've
already converted my 74 to EFI, wasted spark
ignition etc...

Emile Bergeron

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
It is really worth considering how this might affect the flow of contributions to this forum. If you look at the "upgrades" section of the 6-pack forum it has only a few contributions. I also think there is a grey area between out and out performance upgrades and upgrades that help both performance and reliability of normal cars. I don't see why performance or racing threads couldn't co-exist on this forum. Only issue are those who believe that TRs shouldn't be improved, but I am sure they can be politely redirected to other more relevant threads.
Cheers
Tim

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
I agree with Tim. If one doesn't like the idea of a performance forum, one can elect not to visit it.

I have an older Porsche 930, and there are two very active forums in the US for these cars. One leans heavily towards restoration and preservation, the other towards $erious modifications. I read them both: I like keeping my cars looking original, but with better performance.

My two pence worth.

SR
73 TR6

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Rut, I see in your list of cars, the Jeep and I will assume the Wrangler is what you mean. I traded my 07 Sahara last year for a TRD off road Tacoma, love the truck but wish I would have kept the Jeep. I wonder if others have found what a Wrangler has in common with our LBC's? Stick shift, roof down,great steering.After all the time and money spent on my six, buying the new Jeep, put my six in the garage for a long lonely stay. Since then ,the prices of Jeeps just keeps going up and I'm still looking. Dan

hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1504578 by tapkaJohnD There's already a significant literature on Triumph tuning, some hard copy, some online.

First Kas Kastner's books, someof which overlap: http://www.kaskastner.com/buybooks.html and his one from the day, the Competition Preparation Manual.

Then Gareth Thomas's book (two editions) see pic, not easy to find these days.

Vizard's books, in particular "Tuning Triumphs over 1300cc", online at http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/David%20Vizard-Tuning%20Standard%20Triumph.pdf

Much of it is now terribly outdated, (Kas freely admits he was using the best technology of his very long ago day). some of it was simply rubbish when it was first self published.

Im not interested is seeing the ad nauseum regurgitating of old wives tales.
Technology and techniques have moved on immeasurably since the 60's and thats what I'm interested in.

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

hearditallbefore Avatar
In reply to # 1504512 by maxd Yes I would love it. Everything from suspension upgrades to engine swaps. Also would like to see a custom mod forum, ( I know this might be a touchy subject).
Bill

Maybe a compromise?

The Triumph RestoMod Forum?

Thats should cover all the modern tuning and improving techniques

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1505522 by dsixnero Rut, I see in your list of cars, the Jeep and I will assume the Wrangler is what you mean. I traded my 07 Sahara last year for a TRD off road Tacoma, love the truck but wish I would have kept the Jeep. I wonder if others have found what a Wrangler has in common with our LBC's? Stick shift, roof down,great steering.After all the time and money spent on my six, buying the new Jeep, put my six in the garage for a long lonely stay. Since then ,the prices of Jeeps just keeps going up and I'm still looking. Dan

Dan,
My youngest son does not share my love of LBCs and asked that I build a Jeep CJ for him. Since I had a 76 CJ back in the day as my DD I could understand why...the experience is very similar with top down driving fun! I bought a 93 Jeep YJ Wrangler with a wider track than the CJ along with the fuel injected 4.0 and 5 speed that had been rolled and had front end sheet metal damage and rebuilt it with a CJ front end and tube fenders. I’ll coat the interior in Raptor liner and paint the outside, install new seats and roll bar covers, and new 3 point seat belts, tires, shocks, bushings, springs, etc. Everything is complete except the paint and Raptor and my body shop has offered their facility for my use on weekends. All in all it’s been a fun project and should be a safe, reliable toy for him and his family.
Rut

Attachments:
293178D0-C75A-4617-AA69-B6807409EA1E.jpeg    65.8 KB
293178D0-C75A-4617-AA69-B6807409EA1E.jpeg

6979710A-C909-4560-9067-E282F7C98195.jpeg    57.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
B4CC8668-FEB0-48AB-86B5-B56A4E549B97.jpeg    64.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
hearditallbefore Avatar
CJ Jeeps, top trucks!
Waaaaaaaaaaay better than any Landrover.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links