Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Feick2 Carl F
Madison, MS, USA   USA
Concerning VB spin on oil filter for TR6
I am sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but can’t seem to locate the string. Many years ago I converted my TR6 to the Victoria British spin on oil Filter set up including the oil filter. I have been using a filter wrench piece that fits on the bottom of the filter and connects to a 3/8 inch extension and a ratchet. This worked ok for a few years until today when even after snuggly hammering on the filter wrench piece, the ratcheting just twists the filter wrench piece back off and does not loosen the filter. The wrench piece just turns and has become “scored”on the inside. The filter also does not seem to have much/many ridges for the wrench piece to grab onto. Any suggestions on how to loosen the filter?

Thanks - Carl
Merry Christmas to all.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
A/ Strap wrench: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVE-1-2-OIL-FILTER-STRAP-WRENCH-REMOVAL-TOOL-SOCKET/282725049062?epid=1822802051&hash=item41d3b9e2e6:g:MJAAAOSwg8taAhLp A loop of webbing hoes wround the filer and throrugha slot in what is basicly a long socket. It winfs up around the socket until tight on the filter, and then acts eccentically on it.

B/Chain wrench. Same as A/ with with a length of chain, sprocket drirve type.

c/ Wrench pliers. Adjustable like a pair of wtaer pump pliers, with semicircular jaws. Needa a lot of space to work in.

OR, in an 'emergency' Take a strike-through screwdriver, drive it through the fliter body, and use it as a lever to wind it off.

John

esmith Ed Smith
Knoxville, Tenn, USA   USA
I purchased large channel lock pliers several years ago just for this job. 100 percent success rate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Carl - What specifically is your "filter wrench"? Is this a plastic cap that fits over the closed end aligned with the many "flats" along the last 3/4" of the filter casing? If so, I'm curious about your having to your "hammering" it on. If its the proper size it should fit with a tiny amount of twisting 'play'. I consistently use one of these on any oil filter. I do have a strap wrench as well tho seldom use. There used to be all metal strap wrenches which I never liked.

A metal cap wrench www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/oem-oil-filter-cap-wrench-for-mercedes-ford-dodge-mazda-volkswagen-porsche-toyota-lexus-and-harley-davidson/255669_0_0

I forgot that I also have one like this that I've not used yet. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal-oil-filter-wrench-auto-adjustable/p-02820523000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447539&gclid=CjwKCAiA4ILSBRA0EiwAsuuBLd-WzBR9owusroc7pP55h1MtdUZ6nOCXGjHeQ5RanmHFXKmIdzubYhoCm5YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJHz1f6YptgCFdhIDAodR90P7g

Not a big fan of this type metal strap wrench www.tekton.com/flex-oil-filter-wrench-5868?gclid=CjwKCAiA4ILSBRA0EiwAsuuBLQBgFxNdBlnkIqszL6x7Ygir5r9VhW6C_7lXU4tHYTzbwJvBowwGHhoCsyIQAvD_BwE

Cloth type strap wrench http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/extras/motorcycle+tools/bikemaster_oil+filter+strap+wrench?gclid=CjwKCAiA4ILSBRA0EiwAsuuBLepHaI2go7l1Alf8MaBn-U7Z43m4EOuSiwsHY_gXXPB5GnthAEHcixoCpBQQAvD_Bw

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
I have a number of different filter wrenches depending on what car I am working on. You should try a strap wrench, I purchased one from Sears with a black rubber strap, works good and not expensive, grips filter good.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Feick2 Carl F
Madison, MS, USA   USA
Barry
Your first mentioned icon is the type I have used. But I believe over time it has become worn and has lost its gripping power
Carl

I wonder if could bend it slightly to enhance the gripping power

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Hate to say it but in stead of driving yourself crazy just take the whole thing off and work on it on a bench next time apply some grease to the filter good luck

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, AZ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
Not pretty but the screwdriver thru the filter body is usually pretty effective.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links