AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, AZ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
Have searched and wasn't able to find anything other than this old message from the Archives...does anyone know of a list of bulbs and equivalents?

This read-only message was archived from a public mail list.
Mail From: "Greg Gelhar" <(email redacted)>

> Has anyone every come up with a bulb equivalent matrix? I just had to
> replace my brake/tail light and after some searching found that the Lucas
> 380 bulb is the same as the Sylvania 1157 which is readily available.
> There's nothing on VTR, so I was thinking of putting a matrix together if
I
> can find all the modern equivalent bulbs. I know that some of our bulbs
are
> a little funky like the trunk light or is a bulb a bulb regardless of car
> age as long as it fits and has the required number of filaments?
>
> Bob Danielson

Hi Bob,

Several months ago I began a chart like this. Lack of computer skills is
the reason why I never finished the project. If anyone wants to see the
Excel file I started that includes some obscure applications (about 50%
finished), send me a message and I will attach it in my return email.
Perhaps this can be finished with input from other listers.

Greg Gelhar

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dselina Dave S
Lake Orion, MI, USA   USA
A worthwhile endeavor, but you may be making it harder than it needs to be. Single element bulbs are 1156 and dual element ones are 1157. Those numbers are universal and apply to all manufactures. Super Bright LED, Inc. has a great vehicle, year and model specific look up chart for their really nice products. They include dash and other light bulb, not just turn and tail lights. Keep in mind that if you replace turn signals with LEDs you'll need a resister and special flash unit to make them blink.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
There are a lot of smaller variations between bulbs that may or may not be important to you; depending on your goals.

For example, a 2357 bulb will fit the dual filament holders for stop/tail lights, and put out 25% more light on the stop filament than 1157. There is a price, though, the 2357 is only rated for 400 hours life while 1157 is 1200 (for the stop filament).

And a Lucas 380 is only rated 21 watts for stop, while 1157 is 27. (2357 is 28.5)

None of which matters if you're going to LED of course.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, AZ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
In reply to # 1504323 by dselina A worthwhile endeavor, but you may be making it harder than it needs to be. Single element bulbs are 1156 and dual element ones are 1157. Those numbers are universal and apply to all manufactures. Super Bright LED, Inc. has a great vehicle, year and model specific look up chart for their really nice products. They include dash and other light bulb, not just turn and tail lights. Keep in mind that if you replace turn signals with LEDs you'll need a resister and special flash unit to make them blink.

The 1156/57 are pretty straight forward. Not entirely sure about the rest of the side/dash and other misc lights.

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
The little bulb in the hazard switch is an odd one but found some Lucas-branded ones on eBay from a UK seller.

As stated above, all the exterior bulbs are as common as dirt, and I've been replacing the non-flashing ones with LEDs.

SR
73 TR6

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I replaced all the 1157 and 1156 bulbs with LED's off ebay a couple of years back. The only other change was a stanard two pin, electronic flasher module from Canadian tire ($8)

The LED's work very well, they are just the cheap (about $1 each inc shipping) from china and seem about 20% brighter than the incandescent equivalents.

I also converted the OE map light to LED, this is a huge improvment over the stock 'glow worm' and it dosent get hot!

Dash light/gauge lights will need a different dimmer switch in order to be able to dim the lights. The dimmers (PWM's) are available very inexpensively, but require a little creativity to fit replacing the old rehostat.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster