Pace setter header on 1972 TR6?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
Please help with my pace setter header installation on my 1972 TR6. It is a new ceramic one that seems to bolt right on with no clearance problems anywhere. The intake manifold also fits against it with no visible problems. I am also connecting it to a Rimmer Brothers dual muffler stainless steel exhaust that will only require cutting at the first set of pipes for length.
My concern is that the product is clearly advertised as fitting the 1973-76 TR6 and I did not want to finish the installation and then later find out there is some hidden technical reason I should not have done so.
I had previously asked about others with experience with the pace setter and the replies I received were all positive. After reviewing them again, I think they all had the later 1973-76 models, so I may still have the concern.
Has anyone else tried to fit this to a 1969-72 TR6 and what is the difference?
From a technical standpoint, my previous experience with heads consist of putting them in my truck to take them to the machine shop, so please explain accordingly.
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
I don't think there is a difference I think it had to do with the front connecting pipes the fact that they needed to be cut

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jim,
From this picture you sent it looks like the connecting pipes need to be swapped to make the bends line up. You will have to cut them for length, but that might make it fit better.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
B483BFC3-77EB-4376-BE7D-0E04CE335944.jpeg    49 KB
B483BFC3-77EB-4376-BE7D-0E04CE335944.jpeg

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
I know it does look like they don’t line up, but I just have them sitting there in that picture. When I put them in place, the bends do seem to line up very well.
It looks to me that I just need to cut the stainless steel pipes connecting to the header extension and I will be right where I need to be with the correct bend and angle.
What does present a bit of a challenge is the fit of the stainless pipes over the ceramic header pipes. It will go in about a half inch, but I am thinking that the ceramic coating is what makes them such a tight fit.
I had thought about sanding the coating off until the fit works or it would be easy enough at this point to mark the exact spot they should end up and just take those pieces to a muffler shop. There is virtually no room for clamps at that point with the pipes so close together, so maybe those need to be welded while I have it out.
Any opinions on this and if the ceramic pipe coating can even be welded?
Thanks,
Jim

Perdido Avatar
Jim,
In my limited experience when I’ve had exhaust systems fabricated they swaged the ends of the pipe to make it fit nice and snug. I’ve also used exhaust sealer on the joints to make sure they are air tight when using exhaust clamps. I like to use http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/33226/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710897571&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=53966302310&CATCI=aud-300525381019:pla-324540232240&CATARGETID=230006180039217659&cadevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-bHYgcqg2AIVm7XACh16hAB3EAQYASABEgL2VfD_BwE
since they don’t catch on speed bumps and driveways.
Rut

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Well Rut, we were thinking alike. I ordered those lap bands from Sppedway last week, however, the 2” ones I ordered are too big. Unfortunately they do not make them smaller than 2” and the pipes are different sizes, but all under 2”. I did get the copper sealant also. Smaller flat band clamps are available, but not in the lap design and pretty narrow, but still better than the ubolts.
I may have to wait until after Christmas to get up the nerve to cut my exhaust so the header will work. The exhaust came with the dual pipe piece that bolts to the stock exhaust manifold and it would be so easy just to go that way and sell the header on eBay. The only reason I was using the header is because I already had it and it is beautiful. Apparently there are not a lot of benefits to it with this particular design but sure would dress up the engine compartment.
Once I have cut the exhaust, I have limited my choices unless I were to purchase the pipes I cut.
I might be able to sell the header for about what it,would cost to get the stock manifold ceramic coated.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Jim

Perdido Avatar
Jim,
I don’t have a feel for the performance of a Pacesetter header, but yours looks really nice! I would think that a good muffler shop will have SS exhaust pipe, so you can probably go either way...once you either one installed you probably won’t ever mess with it again. If it was my car I would move forward with the header hands down.
Rut

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
I only see one pic does the header come with the extension pipe do you have a pic of the header

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Here is the picture of the header and the extension pipe. It really does dress up the engine area even if there is no negligible difference in the header versus stock. I think you can see from this picture the two front pipes that need cutting.
I read somewhere that installing a new exhaust system requires patients. Does anyone know where I can get some of that?
At least my wife came out to my shop this afternoon and said the new exhaust was pretty.
Jim

Attachments:
9EECC72B-9F47-4B8A-8F46-55F8FE071AE8.jpeg    60.1 KB
9EECC72B-9F47-4B8A-8F46-55F8FE071AE8.jpeg

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Just an update to my question. I gained the nerve to cut my new stainless exhaust and fitted it to the header extension. It lined up perfectly and I am very pleased with the result.
I am still figuring out the best way to connect everything and place the hangers, but that does not seem to be a problem that a little planning and time will not solve. There seems to be enough differences in the various exhaust offered that there is no standard answer, but thanks to all who supported me.
I also spent about 100 years polishing my intake manifold since my new headers are so pretty. Wow was that work, but they really look good. I started with a wire brush on the end of my drill then used some eBay polishing wheels and many different grades of wet and dry sand paper all the way to 1200. It looks like a polished nickel now. I ordered an eBay sealer that says it will keep it like that for years. We shall see..
Thanks,
Jim

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
Jim, when I installed mine I had to reverse one of the intermediate pipes and shorten them. But I have a 76 so it might be different. I did contact pacesetter and talk it over with them. Other than that minor inconvenience all went well.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Attachments:
IMG_1741.JPG    79.2 KB
IMG_1741.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links