Drive shaft orientation

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Is there a correct orientation for the driveshaft? Repair manual (BL) shows the sliding end to be offered up to the final drive (diff), however I have also read people installing it with the solid end toward the differential. I have even read some posts that say it doesn't matter. Can anyone give me the straight scoop?

Thanks,
Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Bob,

All mine I have installed with the sliding splines up towards the Trans end fwiw.

Cheers
Tush

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503775 by USNBob Is there a correct orientation for the driveshaft? Repair manual (BL) shows the sliding end to be offered up to the final drive (diff), however I have also read people installing it with the solid end toward the differential. I have even read some posts that say it doesn't matter. Can anyone give me the straight scoop?

Thanks,
Bob

Not positive about this, but I think we want access to the grease fitting for the splines. (Not blocked by any of the sheet metal) So the sliding end should be closer to the trans tail shaft.

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
USNBob Bob H
Allenwood, NJ, USA   USA
Thank you both for the quick reply. The mechanic that did the work did put it back with the spline end toward the trans. When I asked him about the orientation he did say that it would be impossible or really hard to get to the grease fittings, and that makes all the sense in the world. I had to drop the diff to have the mounts repaired and reinforced. The right front was cracked. Since the diff was out, replaced the inner bearings and oil seals and gasket on the case. Went with poly diff mounts instead of the rubber ones and I am not sure it was a wise choice as they seem to enhance any noise coming from the drive train (IMHO), but will drive some more to see how that pans out. Replaced the U/J on drive shaft too. Not really sure about the factory manual procedure for the drive shaft replacement, which is why Triumph Experience and folks like you that use it are so valuable. I also sleep better knowing that I did not make a mistake that I will pay dearly for down the road (LOL).

Thanks again!

Bob

David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Both ends are accessible from below. Splined end goes toward the transmission. Orientation is also important. The manual notes that prior to removal the flange alignments are supposed to be marked to permit reinstalling in the same alignments.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
The u-joint yokes must be installed "in phase" so that the opposing ends of the shaft work in unison.

See /www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-25 04:32 PM by barry s.

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
If you pull the drive shaft out to do U joints, you might want to get it balanced also, had mine done for under $60.00, also splines go towards gear box, also as mentioned make sure U joint orientation front and back is ok.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links