TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

TR6 blinkers and brake lights not working - what to try?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
Hi guys,

I installed all new bulbs around the car; the front blinkers don't "blink" - they merely go on and stay illuminated. The same for my brake lights - the tail light function works (they go red) but when I depress the pedal, it doesn't brighten as it should. I've tried LED bulbs and the older incandescent bulbs - same result both ways.

Since the car came to me in pieces I don't know if the lights were ever working; what should I try as a next effort in troubleshooting? The fuses all look good; the fact that power is getting to the lights seems like a good sign... just need to get them flashing!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Casey808 Avatar
Casey808 Casey S
Honolulu, HI, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Adèle"
For the brake lights, test and clean the connections on the brake stop switch located behind the brake pedal. Replace if necessary.

For the signal lights, if your hazard switch works and they blink but don't blink on your turn signal steering column switch than likely your flasher unit is shot and needs replacement. It is located under the dash, mine is beneath the glove box, some owners have it on the driver side firewall depending on your model year.

Turn signal LED's require a load resistor in order to blink properly, same for the trafficator light if you swap out your dash lights with LED's. Moss had an informative video on their website explaining how to circumvent this conundrum. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Keep 'em on the road! Cheers!

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Hmm, maybe it's my Hazard switch then - do I need to replace this when you do an LED bulb conversion? I can't get the blinkers or brake lights to work even with traditional incandescent bulbs. I'll test with a new brake light switch - but in the meantime, what else could it be?

Is there a way to test the flasher unit itself? it seems more likely that my hazard switch is the problem, right?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JFB Joseph Byrd
Dunn, NC, USA   USA
A simplified wiring of just the turn/hazard and brake lights

Attachments:
72 turn signals.jpg    33.1 KB
72 turn signals.jpg

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
On the car, where is the hazard flasher? I’m guessing I will have to replace the hazard flasher with an electronic flasher module(just like I did for the turn signal flasher) if I convertto LED, correct?

Casey808 Avatar
Casey808 Casey S
Honolulu, HI, USA   USA
1969 Triumph TR6 "Adèle"
In reply to # 1503648 by tylerwerrin On the car, where is the hazard flasher?

Under bonnet inner driver side wing, should be left and forward of the fuse box. drinking smiley

Attachments:
Triumph TR6 Relays.jpg    58.4 KB
Triumph TR6 Relays.jpg

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
I'll go take a look! thanks - do I need to replace this with an electronic flasher since I'm gonna convert to LED bulbs? I already have one on the way to replace the old bi-metal flasher for the blinkers - i would imagine i'd need to replace this one as well...

bobstr3 Avatar
bobstr3 Silver Member Bob Holt
Apache Junction, AZ, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1973 Honda Street
2003 Nissan Sentra "Ole Yeller"
2004 Mini Cooper "MINIPRL"
Hi Tyler,
I recently helped a friend fix his brake stop lights on his TR6. They were not coming on until he had pushed the brake pedal really hard and was very near the floor. A safety hazard, as he could have been rear ended. I took off the switch, which is attached to a metal bracket using a 19 mm wrench. The switch is normally closed and as the pedal is pushed, the plunger extends until the contacts inside the switch make contact and close, turning on the brake lights. I cleaned the contacts and sprayed 'contact cleaner' into the switch, down around the plunger. After only putting on the 2 wires, the switch worked fine and the brake lights came on when the plunger was all the way out, After reinstalling it to the bracket, I had to slightly bend the metal bracket, by putting a pair of pliers on the bottom of the bracket and pulling it towards the front seat. What was happening was the plunger was not coming out far enough to allow the contacts to close. Now his brake lights come on after pushing on the pedal and moving downward about 1/2". Based on the location of the metal bracket, that holds the brake light switch, it can be hit by your foot and pushed towards the firewall, causing the switch to be too close to the pedal and not allowing the plunger to come out far enough to activate. Check yours out. I hope it is only a bent bracket causing the problem.

Good Luck,

Bob

bobstr3 Avatar
bobstr3 Silver Member Bob Holt
Apache Junction, AZ, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1973 Honda Street
2003 Nissan Sentra "Ole Yeller"
2004 Mini Cooper "MINIPRL"
Correction, I said normally closed, but should have said NORMALLY OPEN, when installed. My apologies.

Bob

South San Frncisco, CA, USA   USA
The signal flasher relay, on 1974 6 USA, LHD ...discovered to my surprise, located inside, passenger right side footwell
hidden behind inner side panel... what a weird place for it... In my quest, some months ago, I mistook the hazard relay
flasher(on on left fender engine compartment wall), for the signal flasher... presumptions, presumptions.

modelafish Mike Mc
Nampa, ID, USA   USA
Just this year, I had a problem with brake lights and turn signals not working on my 69 TR6, after many years of sitting. Luckily, I have the Bentley TR6 manual with complete wiring diagram, and was able to trace every wire from battery to bulb. After making sure ALL the bulbs were good, I checked to see that power was getting to the bulbs (which it was), and determined that I had bad grounds. After wire brushing all connections, I ended up replacing the bulb sockets. That did the trick for me for the brake lights. And my hazard switch was broken, and the power goes thru that to power the turn signals. Hazard switches are hard to find at any price, so I just wired around it. (NOT a permanent fix) And then replaced the flasher on the passenger side footwell. That got the turn signals working.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links