Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Has anyone successfully used cable chains on their TR6 for snow driving? Looks like it should work.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503197 by chris Has anyone successfully used cable chains on their TR6 for snow driving? Looks like it should work.

If these are the ones that have rollers across the tire tread rather than actual chain links, I found them useless. Tried them on both my Mustang (LSD) and the TR6. The cars wouldn't even climb a wet road! I returned them for "real" chains!

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1941.JPG    28.9 KB
IMG_1941.JPG

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Did the real chains fit and work without tearing anything up?

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Great photo, Dick.

I've used chain chains, now they are good in snow, but the cable chains are okay for highway speeds, not as good as chain chains.
If you have everything tightened together with the links it won't damage the vehicle.

Dedicated snow tires are very good, on all 4's.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503308 by chris Did the real chains fit and work without tearing anything up?

Yes. As Walt says, you must keep them tight, using the large rubber band that comes with the set. I also had studded snow tires that I put on when traveling to snow country. They're almost as good as chains!

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
It having just snowed in the UK (I know! It surprised everyone!) but just put Michelin Crossclimates on my modern, I found them most effective.
But can't say about deep snow, as in Dick's pic.

JOhn

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Optimistically drove my then un-rebuilt to Colorado from sunny CA. As daily driver through winter, I found a set of studded snow tires kept the Six moving as long as I wasn't high-centered in deep stuff. I did feel a bit pushed by the Ford trucks and the Jeeps, but I kept it on the road all winter. I shied away from the chain idea because the prospect of losing a tensioner at road speeds, and the torsional wreckage and havoc it might unleash, was a greater fear than driving slowly in front of the unenlightened non-LBC drivers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links