Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
I purchased a carpet kit off ebay, a "Carelli Kit", which for the most part has been very nice and easy to install - except for the kick panels - the panels of carpet to the left of the driver and right of the passenger. The pieces of carpet seem to be a little bit bigger than the area that they cover, and do not have any of the holes cut for the various interior components.

On the passenger side, this isn't such a big deal as there isn't much getting in the way of putting the panel up (other than the additional length) but the driver's side has the brights switch, the hood release switch and a bunch of other wires and stuff. How did you guys get the new replacement kick panels in there?

I also noticed that it looks like the carpet in the kick panel area was screwed in, as opposed to stuck down with adhesive (like the other pieces of carpet). Since the car came with no carpet when I bought it, is my kit missing anything (other than screws of course) to get the kick panels installed? are there any tricks? did any of you guys have to cut the carpet down a little due to it being slightly oversized?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
I used a TRF kit and didn't have to cut anything on the kick panels. They are indeed screwed to the metal bodywork - 3 screws along the door-side edge as shown in the attached picture, and another one somewhere in the middle of the panel from what I can remember (I don't have access to my car to check).

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

Attachments:
Kick.jpg    41.1 KB
Kick.jpg

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Hmm, the kit I have, the edge where the screws are goes past the door - perhaps the front point part (towards the firewall) needs to be slit and then some of the overlap would be pressed down onto the firewall itself? i'll take a picture when I get home from work.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
The carpet does overlap onto the firewall on mine, but the "board" was not in the way. You may have to slit the carpet at the corners and/or remove some of the board material if it is too long(?)

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

barcalude Dave B
Baldwinsville, NY, USA   USA
Hi Tyler. Maybe a dumb question, but do you have the backer boards for the kickpanel carpet pieces? The carpet kits quite often only include the carpet and not the hard backer that the carpet is attached to. I'm thinking if you got the car without carpets, probably the backer board was missing as well.

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Nope, no backer boards; I ended up creasing the carpet around the panel where the footwell meats the side panel; I cut a slit where the hood release plunger is and melted a couple holes to mount the high beam footswitch. Is not having the board going to be an issue? I do need some screws to fasten the carpet down; do you know what size they are off hand?

barcalude Dave B
Baldwinsville, NY, USA   USA
The backer board just provides a ridgid back for the carpet and holds each shape when mounting. Its like a heavy cardboard backer. You could probably put the carpet in without the backing with a little work. You'll need to either find original screw holes or drill some new ones. I would try something like a 3/4" # 10 screw.

SteveKJR Steve KJR
Stockbridge, GA, USA   USA
Tyler I used velcro to hold mine in place. However if that won't work then the best thing is to use screws.

Attachments:
P1028253.JPG    76.6 KB
P1028253.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Stag

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links