Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502839 by wes gray Very interesting find...seeming at least intact. Even sitting in a dry place 25 years, everything on car tends to go to pieces.
Fuel tank likely needs cleaning big time... the carbs need cleaning, as the fuel in there has probably turned to glue...
Also, mind the wheel bearings. The rears ...on mine the grease dried out and the driver side failed, lucky not right on the road.
(replaced originals with Richard Good's replacement rear hubs and all the differential u joints (they feel VERY solid)
Mine sat 21 years... ended up having to go through every mechanical thing (mothballed at 29,000 miles, now has 36700)
Depending on the real mileage of your example, and how it was treated prior, you might find all in order, just needing attempts at prelube before starting. The advice of the posts you see is all relevant.

It would be wonderful if just a little TLC got the machine running at all, and give you a chance to evaluate it....
I would expect, as my experience, you will be going through every system on the car to make it right...
and it is worth doing... after beginning in 2012 to revive my 1974...running end 2014... has taken me until
late this summer to finally conquer it and it running right...time available and my own stubborness prevented
solving it all sooner. You will find the car to be a "blast" to drive when all is correct again, operating a real machine, not piloting a computer... If engine is not destroyed and if there is minimal rust... just evict the rodents from the interior and enjoy.
(oh, you'll be replacing foam in seats in short order, it turns to a fine powder...) should you have to pull engine for rebuild, don't lose heart... it is worth it when done... oh, and try avoiding temptation to "upgrade" everything in sight...
(on balance I think spin on oil filter adaptor is a good thing... don't rush to install the accessory external oil feed line for the rockers... and try sticking to original ignition and spark plug specs...until you have it all sorted out...at which time you could start mods, if inclined. if there were a way to evaluate rear hub condition and get the grease revived before roading again...you could perhaps stave off that issue. Front hub bearings are easy...sorry to prattle on...
Congratulations, (I think).
wes

Good stuff Wes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502842 by Perdido James,
Great info in the library under awakening an mgb.
Rut
http://www.triumphexp.com/article/awakening-sleeping-mg.html

Thanks Rut.. that is a pretty good guide.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Once you can get the engine to turn freely with the starter you can supply fuel to the carbs using a small container with a hose instead of putting fuel in the tank. With the convenient mechanical fuel pump, you may be able to draw fuel out of the small container into the fuel pump. This avoids potential contaminants in the fuel tank or hard line to the pump worsening the carbs condition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502864 by barry s Once you can get the engine to turn freely with the starter you can supply fuel to the carbs using a small container with a hose instead of putting fuel in the tank. With the convenient mechanical fuel pump, you may be able to draw fuel out of the small container into the fuel pump. This avoids potential contaminants in the fuel tank or hard line to the pump worsening the carbs condition.

I am hoping to be able do this. I certainly will not be pulling from the tank until it has been checked.

Do the fuel tanks on 6's rust internally as bad as the 7's? I had to replace the tank on this recent 7 I built.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Does anyone else besides the OP get excited about a new old TR getting fired up like I do? I love it when it happens and I hope you post a video of the event!
Rut

GAJ Graham J
Carlisle, ON, Canada   CAN
I am excited to see ANYTHING old get fired up again! And especially when it is mechanical.

South San Frncisco, CA, USA   USA
allzway, and yet another thing... your car sat 26 years... doubtless you know about inspecting
cooling system. when I recomissioned my sleeper, I foiund nothing coming out of the jacket drain above starter motor...
poking a steel rod into the drain hole was not productive... In pulling engine and stripping block,
i found literally a pound or so of a material too uniformily granular to be calcium or rust...
I wish I had saved some...
I used a hi pressure machine to drive water thrus the block, from every point I could find...
gobs of stuff... finally running clear...(having it boiled at a shop would have been more efficient, but not so much fun)
before discarding the detritus... i came to conclusion that it was casting sand that never got cleared
out of block in the manufacturing process...the sand is heavy and perhaps can settle into a bed at bottom of water jacket
and have coolant pass over it without dislodging...but does impact your coolant quantity and then might be a
contributory factor in overheating, (which since my work, has not happened nearly)...
Casting sand or not, there was it seemed quite a bit of it...and you will of course want to check the cooling system
thoroughly, however well it might run in the beginning.
regardez
wes

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
I pulled the plugs and oiled the cylinders and the can now turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out, but I connected a remote starter switch directly to the starter and can make it click and occasionally spin, but it won't engage the starter.

Starter bad? I don't have keys to the car yet, so I can't try to crank it yet.

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Solenoid could have bad contacts in it, tap it a couple times and see if it will crank over.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
The engine is turning over well and with adding 12v to the coil the plugs will now fire. It seem the fuse box has gone bad. I can't voltage on both sides without apply pressure to the fuse.

It wouldn't quite ever run though. It seems that the fuel pump is not pulling fuel from my temporary fuel jug.. even after many pumps on the manual pump.

Should I just replace the fuel pump since it is pretty cheap or repair the original one?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
"Should I just replace the fuel pump since it is pretty cheap or repair the original one?"

NO!

Rebuild the pump you have. Seems there have been lots of problems with aftermarket mechanical pumps, including putting out too much pressure.

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
allzway, I just glommed onto this thread. One day I hope to tackle my own 6. And I have to say, that although there are lots of beautifully restored TR 6's about, that second photo of your car, out in the sun for the first time in years and still wearing all of it's accumulated grunge, is an absolutely poetic thing of beauty!

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1506862 by POW allzway, I just glommed onto this thread. One day I hope to tackle my own 6. And I have to say, that although there are lots of beautifully restored TR 6's about, that second photo of your car, out in the sun for the first time in years and still wearing all of it's accumulated grunge, is an absolutely poetic thing of beauty!

Funny thing is... I am actually going to get it running and mechanically sound before I even wash the car. Hard to tell in the pictures, but most of the crap on it is just insulation that has fallen from the rough of the warehouse it was stored in and it is very stuck to the car.

It kind of looks like bird or animal droppings, but it is just insulation. The squares on each door is from tape that held a company logo sign from a parade the car was last used in.

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1506523 by Tonyfixit "Should I just replace the fuel pump since it is pretty cheap or repair the original one?"

NO!

Rebuild the pump you have. Seems there have been lots of problems with aftermarket mechanical pumps, including putting out too much pressure.

Thanks Tony... I actually ordered the repair kit from Victoria and also ordered a pump as well. So I'll attempt the repair first.

This cold weather is sure slowing my progress.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links