TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

74 TR6 Ignition Switch replacement - help!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

therevrob007 Rob B
Alamo, CA, USA   USA
Hello All,

I have a 74 tr6 with a faulty ignition switch, it's the style that is mounted under the dash directly under the steering column. I bought a Haynes manual for assistance, and there is actually not a single mention of how to change this. It's not overly obvious to me, as this is my first TR6.... and one can point me to some instructions, step by step photos or even just advice? I have the new switch from Moss (Lucas style)..

thanks all!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The switch is bolted on with security bolts that shear off when tightend. The problem is for you to remove them!
Seeing as the switch is to be replaced, you could 'Get medieval' with it with a dremel or angle grinder, or just drill out the bolts.

therevrob007 Rob B
Alamo, CA, USA   USA
oh my.... That sounds like a massive pain in the rearend, considering I'll be upside down in the car.. The Key itself is fine, it's just the backend that seems to have failed.. any other ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
There is a tiny, tiny screw in the barrel of the ignition..you have to look very hard to find it.
I'm not clear on what you want to replace, but that screw may be the 'key'.
See here...but it's not nearly as large as is pictured:
http://trf.zeni.net/TR6greenbook/29.php

therevrob007 Rob B
Alamo, CA, USA   USA
THANK YOU!!!!!

this is EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!!

THANK YOU!! this forum rocks!!!!

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502320 by therevrob007 Hello All,

I have a 74 tr6 with a faulty ignition switch, it's the style that is mounted under the dash directly under the steering column. I bought a Haynes manual for assistance, and there is actually not a single mention of how to change this. It's not overly obvious to me, as this is my first TR6.... and one can point me to some instructions, step by step photos or even just advice? I have the new switch from Moss (Lucas style)..

thanks all!!

Now that you have the secret to removing the ign. switch from the barrel, it's also good to know that the symptom for a bad (no start) switch can at times turn out to be a faulty starter solenoid. Before removing this switch, some of us have found a temporary "fix" by banging on the top of the starter. Worth a try?
If it's some other function of the ign. switch that makes you suspect, like the radio not working or the jewel lights don't come on when turning the key, then disregard the starter solenoid idea.

Dick

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
And since it is a 74...there's that seatbelt module issue that prevents the ignition key from engaging the starter.
I think most of us who own or who have owned a 74 have had to deal with that issue.

therevrob007 Rob B
Alamo, CA, USA   USA
This forum is so fantastic!!! Thank you all for the great tips..The main issue and why I thought (ans still think) it's the ignition switch is the car had been running fine, but then a few weeks ago I went to start it, and it fired right up, but the minute I let go of the key it "died" but it was like someone was turning it off.

So here is one more thing.. I got the "new" switch today from Moss. The old one in the car has 6 wires on the back, the NEW one has four.. I figure one is to prevent dieseling with the shut off value, but what is the other possible? The Seat belt that Ken D mentioned above?

So will it matter? The Tech at Moss said I'd be fine, and that they don't stock an ignition with 6 wires... seems strange..

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
The 1974 seatbelt module has an electronic component that sometimes needs bypassing in order to allow the ignition key to activate the starter...
To do that the w/r wire is spliced to the w/o wire. Maybe a prior owner of your car has already done so.
In 75 the factory actually made the splice connection.
Compare the 74 wiring schematic to the 75 wiring schematic for the seatbelt module.
http://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 10:09 PM by poolboy.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502385 by therevrob007 This forum is so fantastic!!! Thank you all for the great tips..The main issue and why I thought (ans still think) it's the ignition switch is the car had been running fine, but then a few weeks ago I went to start it, and it fired right up, but the minute I let go of the key it "died" but it was like someone was turning it off.

So here is one more thing.. I got the "new" switch today from Moss. The old one in the car has 6 wires on the back, the NEW one has four.. I figure one is to prevent dieseling with the shut off value, but what is the other possible? The Seat belt that Ken D mentioned above?

So will it matter? The Tech at Moss said I'd be fine, and that they don't stock an ignition with 6 wires... seems strange..

If the engine will start, then stop when letting go of the key, it could be a break in the wire / connection that goes to the coil + terminal. To see if this is the case, try using a jumper wire from the ("green"winking smiley fuse box to the coil + terminal. If the engine starts and continues to run, the ign. switch may be all right!

Dick

therevrob007 Rob B
Alamo, CA, USA   USA
SUCCESS!!! this forum and the advice was PRICELESS...!! Thank you ALL

after I located that insanely small phillips screw holding the tumbler part of the ignition switch, and performed some contortionist moves under the dash we are all good!! car started right up!

now it's time to rebuild the entire interior...!! I'll start a second post and chronicle that, as I am 100% new to Triumph I'll surely have issues that a newbee will..
thanks again, ALL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links