Commission plate on a 1971 TR6

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

thecarnut Ivan R
Dawsonville, GA, USA   USA
I am new to this forum having recently purchased a 1971 TR6 (built November 1970, USA delivery). I've owned and restored many Jaguars therefore I am familiar with British cars, but I am not familiar with a TR6.

On my car the commission number (VIN) is on a plate located on the driver's door post and also on the left side of the dash. What I find strange is that there is not a commission plate inside the engine compartment. There is an emissions plate located on the left inner fender (see photo) but this plate does not have a place to stamp any numbers. Should there be another plate with the commission number and where should it be located?

Ivan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1121.JPG    56.5 KB
IMG_1121.JPG

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
Nope- The plate on the door post is about it- along with the one on the windshield frame(left side, just above the dash) I think the 69 TR6 had the commission plate on the inner fender, where the emissions sticker is affixed- and if you reach up from below, you may just feel the two holes for it! (My 74 still had the holes, even though the comm plate location had been changed years before)

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 08:04 PM by ng19delta.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Like Scott said, early TR6s had vin plate on inner fender. All the rest were on drivers B post and w/s frame.
Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
thecarnut Ivan R
Dawsonville, GA, USA   USA
Thanks, that clears things up.

I got confused since on this online catalog a commission plate is being advertised as fitting a 1970 - 72 and located on the left front wheel arch. It is item FU2, part number CNP61.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6greenbook/index.php?zoom=1&page=62

Ivan

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
I believe that while relocated, they still used the same plate design for those years.

By the way- That "online catalog" vendor is one of the BEST resources you can find! I LOVE The Roadster Factory (TRF)! My personal opinion, of course, but I know plenty of others here appreciate them as well... Just my $.02 on that

Welcome to the forum, BTW...
Scott

edfmay Avatar
edfmay Edwin May
Loveland, CO, USA   USA
Ivan, I to have a 1971 TR6 built in November of 1970.
Like the previous comments, the comm.tag is on the drivers side door post.
I see your engine has the latter model intake manifold.
You might want to check the comm.number on your engine to see if its an original 71 or if just the head was changed out in order to fit that intake manifold.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph TR250

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links