TR6 Tech Forum

Loss of oil pressure

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA   USA
I lost oil pressure on a recent drive. Got towed home. Dropped oil pan and replaced oil pump. The old pump was considerably stiffer to turn than the new one. Changed filter and filled with oil. Did find some shiny glitter in the oil pan, but the main bearings looked good. Started the engine and still no pressure. Pulled the relief valve. The spring was still intact but had left some grooves in the piston. Is it still good? What's my next move?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Are you sure that the driven dog on the end of the oil pump shaft was engaging the slot in the distributor drive gear when you installed the new pump ?

Yes, I did get it to engage with the distributor. I don't believe it will all mate up without it being in the slot.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Unless the shaft is pinned, and a lot are not, the shaft may get pushed into the body of the pump under these 2 misalignment scenarios
Bolting the pump back into the engine block
And, tightening down the distributor pedestal

motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
You may also want to check your pressure sensor as they have been known to fail!

I live within 40 miles of Moss Motors in Va, so I drove down and got a new spring, piston and washer for the oil pressure relief, also got a new oil pressure switch. Installed them and fired it up and now I have oil pressure and not any bad noises. Need to go test drive and try it out. Thanks to everyone for their input.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501598 by Ken Nash I live within 40 miles of Moss Motors in Va, so I drove down and got a new spring, piston and washer for the oil pressure relief, also got a new oil pressure switch. Installed them and fired it up and now I have oil pressure and not any bad noises. Need to go test drive and try it out. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Ken --- Be careful, here. A working oil pressure switch will extinguish the oil light on the dash, but the pressure seen on the gauge comes directly from a fitting / tube from the block. If in doubt, disconnect this tube at the block and start the engine. Be prepared for a gush of oil....or not!
Grooves in the pressure relief valve piston can let more oil bypass back to the sump than it should, but some pressure should still be available to register on the dash gauge.

Dick

motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501622 by dicta
In reply to # 1501598 by Ken Nash I live within 40 miles of Moss Motors in Va, so I drove down and got a new spring, piston and washer for the oil pressure relief, also got a new oil pressure switch. Installed them and fired it up and now I have oil pressure and not any bad noises. Need to go test drive and try it out. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Ken --- Be careful, here. A working oil pressure switch will extinguish the oil light on the dash, but the pressure seen on the gauge comes directly from a fitting / tube from the block. If in doubt, disconnect this tube at the block and start the engine. Be prepared for a gush of oil....or not!
Grooves in the pressure relief valve piston can let more oil bypass back to the sump than it should, but some pressure should still be available to register on the dash gauge.

Dick

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I have to say, the cause for your loss of oil pressure seems a bit un-likely. It would nice to know some oil pressure figures.

A basic dial pressure gauge screwed into the block would give some indication of what is going on.

I went for a test drive around the block on Wednesday night. At idle it sounded normal, as soon as I put it under load the noises came out. Backed into the garage, now I know my next project.

motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
Sorry to hear but not totally surprised... Best of luck!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster