AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Front license plate mount
  This topic is about my 1972 Triumph TR6
rrblizard Bob Blizard
MA, Acton, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Archie Da Triumph"
Because I live in Massachusetts, I have to put plates on both the front and rear of my cars. The rear plate is no problem to mount, of course, but the TR6 doesn't provide a good way to hang a plate. For the last five years I've used a pair of stainless hose clamps with a bolt stuck through them to mount the plate. It worked well, but was pretty ugly.

I was perusing the last TRF Baker's Dozen sale and saw they were selling NOS license plate plinths for the Spitfire 1500. I thought, "Maybe I can do something with that". Turns out, I could.

The plinth came covered in dust and wrapped in petrified friction tape, but after a wash, soaking in lacquer thinner and scraping, and polishing on my rouge wheel, it looked pretty good.

The attached photos show how I mounted it. I split a couple of short pieces of 3/16" poly tubing to cushion the plinth-to-bumper point, and threaded a pair of 17" stainless hose clamps through the holes in the plinth. It seems quite solid, and all I need at this point is another couple plate bolts to hold the bottom edge of the plate.

Not bad for $25 ($20 for the plinth, $4.75 for the clamps, and $0.19 for a foot of tubing).

Bob Blizard

'72 TR6 CC782xx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1654.JPG    45.7 KB
IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG    44 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1657.JPG    54.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
On a Spitfire they do an excellent job of preventing cooling air getting to the radiator :-(

I left my one on just long enough to get some dead bugs on it. I carry it behind the drivers seat.

"It was about to fall off Officer, so I removed it for safty reasons"

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501354 by rrblizard Because I live in Massachusetts, I have to put plates on both the front and rear of my cars. The rear plate is no problem to mount, of course, but the TR6 doesn't provide a good way to hang a plate. For the last five years I've used a pair of stainless hose clamps with a bolt stuck through them to mount the plate. It worked well, but was pretty ugly.

I was perusing the last TRF Baker's Dozen sale and saw they were selling NOS license plate plinths for the Spitfire 1500. I thought, "Maybe I can do something with that". Turns out, I could.

The plinth came covered in dust and wrapped in petrified friction tape, but after a wash, soaking in lacquer thinner and scraping, and polishing on my rouge wheel, it looked pretty good.

The attached photos show how I mounted it. I split a couple of short pieces of 3/16" poly tubing to cushion the plinth-to-bumper point, and threaded a pair of 17" stainless hose clamps through the holes in the plinth. It seems quite solid, and all I need at this point is another couple plate bolts to hold the bottom edge of the plate.

Not bad for $25 ($20 for the plinth, $4.75 for the clamps, and $0.19 for a foot of tubing).

AH, indeed!

Dick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 12:55 PM by dicta.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
Here in California we are also required to have both front and rear plates. I removed mine about 20 years ago prior to having the front bumper re-chromed and never replaced it. Shortly after I was stopped at a road block and the officer asked about my missing front plate. I sort of explained why it wasn't there yet and he said: "I guess this whole red TR6 is better than a license plate" and passed me on! (It still isn't on)

Dick

boulderroller Avatar
boulderroller Silver Member Brian Cunningham
Farmington, Connecticut, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Liz"
In reply to # 1501410 by dicta Here in California we are also required to have both front and rear plates. I removed mine about 20 years ago prior to having the front bumper re-chromed and never replaced it. Shortly after I was stopped at a road block and the officer asked about my missing front plate. I sort of explained why it wasn't there yet and he said: "I guess this whole red TR6 is better than a license plate" and passed me on! (It still isn't on)

Dick

That's my story too! And I'm sticking to it
Brian

1973 TR6 CF4325U
"A" Type OD
Dual Webers

Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
I too live in Calif. and don't have front Lic. plates on any of my cars. I shouldn't say that to loud3

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster