Master cylinder and slave cylinder replacement method and time it takes

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Feick2 Carl F
Madison, MS, USA   USA
My TR6 has a leaking master or slave cylinder. I drive the car once a week for a distance of about 35 miles. Every time I start my drive I check the fluids. For over a year I have always had to slightly top of the master cylinder but over the last month it has drained almost totally out. Since the master cylinder is original to the car I figure I may as well just replace it. I replaced the slave about 10 years ago and I guess it could just replace that also. My questions: how long should it take to replace both and I don't recall if I need to take out the trans cover to remove the slave. Plus what's the best method- 1st step, 2nd step p, etc to do this properly

Thanks for all advise

Carl
1974 TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
If you are the least bit handy with a wrench, just removal and replacement an hour, but allow your self 3...not including bleeding which sometimes gives people a problem getting the air out of the slave cylinder.

Attachments:
SlaveCylinder.jpg    13.1 KB
SlaveCylinder.jpg

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
With that rate of leakage, it should be pretty easy to establish the location of the leak. Simply replacing components without fully establishing the problem is foolhardy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
I just had the same problem so I ordered rebuild kits for both, they have been on the car for about 10 years and had little use in recent years. Did not find the smoking gun so I assume just dirt. Yes, bleeding with a helper did not get it right but, proping a stick against the seat, wait 2 hours, and crack the bleeder open, then repeat until there are no more air bubbles. I did that 4 times and the clutch is all the way up top.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
With the age of all the components, replace the whole system and be done with it. Master cylinder, short length of steel tubing, short length of flex hose and slave cylinder. Triumph recommended a flush and rebuild every three years, how many of us do that? All the parts are readily available.

motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500934 by Feick2 My TR6 has a leaking master or slave cylinder. I drive the car once a week for a distance of about 35 miles. Every time I start my drive I check the fluids. For over a year I have always had to slightly top of the master cylinder but over the last month it has drained almost totally out. Since the master cylinder is original to the car I figure I may as well just replace it. I replaced the slave about 10 years ago and I guess it could just replace that also. My questions: how long should it take to replace both and I don't recall if I need to take out the trans cover to remove the slave. Plus what's the best method- 1st step, 2nd step p, etc to do this properly

Thanks for all advise

Carl
1974 TR6

Hi Carl!

If you can limp the car back to TN we can stick it on my lift and have the job done in about an hour!
Glad to hear you're still playing with that ol' TR6!!

Rick Mathis
(615)504-2164
Eagleville, TN

Feick2 Carl F
Madison, MS, USA   USA
Rick
Good to hear from you but it’s a 7 hour drive back to the Franklin area in a modern vehicle . Plus I think the repair is pretty straight forward and I plan to attempt it soon

Thanks - Carl
Btw: I really the cars and coffee events
There are none here in Mississippi

motowfo Avatar
motowfo Richard Mathis
Kirkland, TN, USA   USA
ROAD TRIP!!!!

New Years in Franklin, C&C on Saturday with new slave!

C&C has gotten bigger and is now an LLC... Police and all!

Not sure how big January will be but in Sept there were close to 1500 cars!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster