Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
I am rebuilding my engine this winter and decided to also rebuild the gear box, I haven't had a problem with it, but wanted to check things out, I have it all apart, found reverse idler gear torn up, replacing that, putting in new synco's, should I use standard or up graded one's? My transmission number is CC series, old style, my car is a 73, I found out the main shaft has been replaced with the newer style using open cage style bearing. My main shaft and counter shaft gear profile is early version. I have read information on TRF web site about mixing and matching parts from different series of gear boxes, will work with right combinations. My question is, I have syncro sleeves that are the widen groove profile which is used in the later gear boxes, my main shaft gears are early version, asymmetrical, according to TRF these cannot be combined as they will cause a problem, does anyone know what that problem would be? Gearbox was working ok, its taking awhile to try and figure out what was standard in the CC series and what was added and will still work. Doesn't look like a difficult job once I make sure my clearances are correct. Also I am going to replace the syncro's, has anyone had experience with the standard syncro's verus the upgraded one's, trying to decide which way to go there, not problem spending the extra dollars if it will get me something better.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4745.jpg    50.5 KB
IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg    65.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
OEM quality synchros are fine, IMO, but there were a bunch of bad reproductions running around a few years back. The bad repros were visibly thinner than original, so the "heavy duty" ones may simply be original equivalents.

One symptom of mismatched shift rings is jumping out of gear. I assume there are others.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
I haven't had the problem with it jumping out of gear, just trying to head off any issues while I have it apart.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
Oakham, Rutland, UK   GBR
Definitely check the quality on synchro rings. I had a load of really poor quality unusable ones over the past few years.

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster