TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Convertible top frame to door window gaps.....

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

toofast4you Silver Member Mike M
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
I'm in the early stages of installing my new top, webbing, velcro and channels/weather strips. I rolled my windows up and the top frame follows the drivers side window until the front rail. The passenger side window doesn't match very well at all. The top frame bows on the back side rails and is straight on the front side rails causing the triangular gap. Any ideas? I haven't moved the top frame around where it mounts in the car yet but was wondering if this is normal. I would think the front side rail should bow like the rear side rail in order the follow the shape of the door glass.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171201_140401.jpg    43.1 KB
20171201_140401.jpg

20171201_140401-1.jpg    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20171201_140453.jpg    40.4 KB
20171201_140453-1.jpg    42.8 KB
mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
The front rails on my car are straight and the rears are slightly curved, although the rears in your pictures look to be a bit more curved than mine. They do not exactly conform to the shape of the glass, but the variance is largely covered by the flaps or reflective material on the top if it has not shrunk as they tend to do over time.

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if mine were not correct. I don't have the A pillar weatherstripping on yet either but I'm hoping that will help with the triangular gaps at the front of both window glasses. I'm going to install the webbing after work and lay the top out on the frame to see how it looks on the sides where the Velcro is installed as well as the reflective strips. Thanks again!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
My suggestion is to leave the weatherstripping longer than the A pillar to fill what may be a small gap at the corner and trim it as needed. There is a small gap at the front corner and along the top of the glass on my car that do not cause a problem, but the top and trimming was installed 30 years ago and has shrunk a bit.

cobrapatrol Avatar
cobrapatrol Gold Member Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CALIFORNIA, USA   USA
I'm wondering if you've already done this? Adding a foam shim underneath the velcro at the front of the cantrail to fill the transition to the front frame? I'm also installing a new top and saw this in an installation here: Paul Rego's 74TR6.com site and wondered whether the intent was to help fill that gap.

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

My issue is my door glass does not touch the very front of the rubber seal that attaches to the bottom of the top side rails and the windshield post. There's a triangular gap. The only way I can get the glass to seal is raising the window up past the Velcro and aluminum channels. It seems the top frame needs to go up higher in the center or both door glasses are cut wrong. It might be easier to make a template and have the door glasses cut locally to match my car. If both of the top side rails were curved, the glass gap may not be a problem. Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments:
20171203_182111-1.jpg    22.7 KB
20171203_182111-1.jpg

20171203_183307.jpg    16.9 KB
20171203_182111.jpg    16.9 KB
20171203_183307-1.jpg    20.3 KB
hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
I would look at looseing the front window mounting bolts in each corner. Then readjust the window frame to better match up to your side windows when there rolled up. Also try readjusting your door window channels
to level your window glass.
Good luck

Besides the gap at the front of the glass, the middle part of the glass is too as well as the back part of the glass. When rolled up enough to get the front part of the door glass to seal, the glass is halfway up the Velcro strips on frame side rails. Something easy I probably overlooked but it's consistent on both sides. I may see how much it will cost to have new glass cut to match. Thanks for the reply.

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
I can't imagine that your glass is made incorrectly and would need to be cut to make it work. There are adjustments that can be done to the windows and here is a great thread discussing some things that can be done.

pay attention to post #19

http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/forum/15-mechanical-repair-maintenance-a-restoration/247462-How-to-square-up-windshield-frame-question?start=15

Maybe the glass isn't centered in the bracket that holds it?

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1999 BMW Z3 2.3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 01:53 PM by skootch13.

I replaced both windows with new channels, tracks and regulators. Centered both glasses in the channels before gluing them in with urethane. I raised the top frame at the 3 screws on each side today and it didn't change much. The gap is 3/4" at the front of the glass when the window is raised until it is in the middle of the rubber seals.

If I raise the windows fully, it's above the Velcro strips but there is no gap in the front. I'm thinking of having new door glasses made.

Attachments:
20171205_193648.jpg    30.7 KB
20171205_193648.jpg

bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian F
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1501416 by skootch13 I can't imagine that your glass is made incorrectly and would need to be cut to make it work. There are adjustments that can be done to the windows and here is a great thread discussing some things that can be done.

Well, this is EXACTLY the reason my RH glass wouldn't seal properly against the top. I only found out when I replaced both windows because they were a bit scratched. First pic is the large gap at the rear. Second pic is the difference in the cutting of the bottom edge.

Attachments:
window gap.jpg    79.5 KB
window gap.jpg

windows4.jpg    32.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster