Clutch and brake pedal assembly

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA   USA
I am doing an off frame restoration on my 1972 Tr6 and restoring just about everything I can touch.
I took my brake and clutch pedal assembly apart to repaint it and am now putting it back together.
I have two questions:
1. There are two spring washers on the rod that the pedals pivot on. When I took mine apart, those washers were on the outside of each pedal. My car was a low mileage one and even had the original clutch, so I assume these washers were installed in those locations from the factory. The roadster factory’s part diagram, however, shows them on the inside of each pedal toward the center. I guess it might be a case of which factory assembly employee was putting them together that day, but does it make a difference? It is a lot easier to reassemble the pedals now than it would be to fix a problem once it is back in the car.
2. The next question concerns how to lubricate the pivot rod on the bushes. Mine was bone dry when I took it apart, but I thought I would just spray some white lithium grease on the bushings. Does anyone have a reason for me not to do so?
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Jim-My washers are toward the outside of the pedals. Maybe TRF can guide as to their illustration and then you can share it with us. I cannot think of any reason not to use white grease on the pedal shaft/bushes. PK

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500654 by Wire wheel guy I am doing an off frame restoration on my 1972 Tr6 and restoring just about everything I can touch.
I took my brake and clutch pedal assembly apart to repaint it and am now putting it back together.
I have two questions:
1. There are two spring washers on the rod that the pedals pivot on. When I took mine apart, those washers were on the outside of each pedal. My car was a low mileage one and even had the original clutch, so I assume these washers were installed in those locations from the factory. The roadster factory’s part diagram, however, shows them on the inside of each pedal toward the center. I guess it might be a case of which factory assembly employee was putting them together that day, but does it make a difference? It is a lot easier to reassemble the pedals now than it would be to fix a problem once it is back in the car.
2. The next question concerns how to lubricate the pivot rod on the bushes. Mine was bone dry when I took it apart, but I thought I would just spray some white lithium grease on the bushings. Does anyone have a reason for me not to do so?
Thanks,
Jim

Can't help with the spring washers, but can say that the clevis pin and clutch secondary arm bore is one of the causes for play, or wear, in this area. Less stroke available to release the clutch is the result of too much wear in these parts. But yes a dab of grease on these contact points can reduce the wear. I don't know if it will make any difference in the long run, but since these areas in my particular car were in need of repair, I drilled out the original 5/16 bore to 7/16 and sleeved it back to 5/16 using a bronze bushing. Also made a clevis pin out of bronze. All are replaceable of course, without having to remove the pedal box to service. Unfortunately the MC pushrod is no longer available (from the major suppliers) as a separate part so the whole MC unit must be replaced, unless one wants to braze up the sides and redrill them back to 5/16.

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links