TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

TR-6 1974 - 75 Will not go into reverse - shift handle will not go into reverse position?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billfr Bill Robertson
Warm Springs, Georgia, USA   USA
TR6 1974 - LATE MODEL
Will not go into reverse.
Shift handle will not move into shift position.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Try this.
Put the gear lever in Neutral position then pull up on the gearshift knob as you swing it to the right and to the rear.
Don't expect to be able to pull up very much, it will only need about 1/4inch or so to engage he notch in the Reverse gear selector.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500327 by billfr TR6 1974 - LATE MODEL
Will not go into reverse.
Shift handle will not move into shift position.

If it's the downward / rearward action that can't be done, try doing it with the engine not running. Put it in third gear first. If successful this way, the problem is likely in clutch disengagement. If the shifter simply won't move far enough right to get the the reverse gate, write back.

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billfr Bill Robertson
Warm Springs, Georgia, USA   USA
Thanks
Shift handle will not move to right, with engine running, without engine running, or with or without clutch engaged.
Other gears seem ok.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You are going to have to remove the transmission cover and see what's up.

I can only imagine the problem is with the reverse detent at the bottom end of the lever.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Were you able to lift the lever any at all by pulling up on the knob when it was in the neutral position ?

In reply to # 1500609 by billfr Thanks
Shift handle will not move to right, with engine running, without engine running, or with or without clutch engaged.
Other gears seem ok.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
According to the manual, you need to move it "sharply" all the way to the right: There is actually a step the end of the lever needs to get over in order to shift. HOWEVER- I have found that if the two limiter bolts on the shifter cap are not properly adjusted, it won't let you shift into reverse... Take a look at those two bolts: if you had them out, you may not have put them back in to the proper depth, and this is blocking movement of the shifter into reverse. I had that problem when I first
got my TR on the road: It is a real simple fix! I think it is the one on the left which restricts movement in- but you can adjust both out, and then readjust to proper...

Scott

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster