AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mechanical Fuel Pump Install
  This topic is about my 1971 Triumph TR6
YTJOHN Avatar
YTJOHN Silver Member John F
Yorktown, NY, USA   USA
Earlier this year I replaced the fuel pump on my TR6. A PO had stripped the threads on the input side of the OEM Delco pump causing a slight leak. I sourced TRF’s Italian-made pump because I liked the idea of being able to rebuild it. (I’m 70, so it will be something to keep me busy in my 90s.) I used a new nut for the input pipe and new compression sleeves on both pipes, but reused the nut on the output pipe since that side wasn’t leaking. Bad idea: no more leak at input pipe, but output connection now leaked! Ordered a replacement nut from TRF (part # T26S15G13), and it turns out the new part has a 3/32” protrusion beyond where the threads stop. The old part is cut off where the threads stop and was apparently not long enough to crimp the compression sleeve. Lesson here is to always buy new nuts from the pump supplier when installing a new pump.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Interesting! They finally made a nut that works. BTW, T26S15G13 is not a TRF part number, but their database code to indicate that the part fits (some) TR2 through TR6, Spitfire Mk 1 through 1500 and GT6 Mk 1 through 3.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

YTJOHN Avatar
YTJOHN Silver Member John F
Yorktown, NY, USA   USA
Hi Randall,
Perhaps TRF designed a one-size-fits-all nut. I learned, while researching my problem, that it's hard for owners of TR3s and 4s to find replacement nuts and sleeves for their cars. One guy found a source for longer nuts, but paid $35. TRF nut is < $10!
John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster