TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Front Suspension Rebuild - do I need to remove hub???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BigChill Avatar
BigChill Silver Member Big Chill
Norwood, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Biting a bullet and having at my front suspension, but trying to minimize the effort required.

My front hubs and bearing are fine. But I need to replace the lower inner mounts, so the whole suspension needs to come apart. But do I NEED to take the front hub off of the verticle link?

Thanks in advance,

Big Chill

'75 TR6 slowly coming back from the dead...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
No, take the to bolts holding the top ball joint on while supporting the lower A arm. Now take the lower shock bolts out and the top one and lower the suspension.
This will let you get the shock out then after that you take the bolt off the sway bar.
The lower A arm brackets are two 9/16 bolts going through the frame. Before doing that get the tie rod end loose,one more little thing, take the brake hose loose at the bell connector, now the whole thing comes out.
The trunnion can now be done off the car, a little easier. ,

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-25 05:21 PM by trrdster.

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
Big Chill- use extreme caution if you choose to try removing the suspension as described. I did not read anything about properly compressing and removing the road spring. The front suspension of the TR6 has a very healthy spring pressure that can send parts in unexpected direction with great force if not properly compressed and removed. Before attempting the vertical link removal and that of the spring pan, familiarize yourself with proper procedure for removing spring. PK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
Did this job about 4 times you have to take the spring out and get the proper spring compressor or try to make your own if you can if not your never going to get it back on .If the trunnion bolt is frozen your never going to get the arms off without some damage there are some tricks to get the bushings out google it there might even be something on youtube I would put in the poly ones because their split and go in easy take a few pics first to see how everything is together this way you don't put the bolts in the wrong way .Also I forgot remember how many shims there are and how they go .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-26 05:01 AM by rjc157.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Paul and Ralph, You are exactly correct in warning of the spring.
I made the mistake of assuming Big Chill knew what he was getting into and had done some research.
If his car is a good 18 inches off the ground and all is disconnected from the bottom pan, when he drops the whole A arm down the spring will have little if any major tension. The weight of the rotor and caliber will take it almost to the ground.
Been a while since I did one and memory my not be spot on, so thanks for giving the heads up on caution.
I did wonder why so much concern about taking the hub off? Much less weight to deal with, just wipe off the spindle to keep from getting grease all over you.
Again Thanks, and for all, these cars car hurt you badly, not just the cuts and bruises.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
I believe you probably can do it with the hub on, but sounds like more of a PITA to me....in the way; all the additional weight flopping around etc. Not difficult to remove and a good oppty to repack bearings and know that everything looks good in there. My .02

BigChill Avatar
BigChill Silver Member Big Chill
Norwood, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Thanks for all the advice, suggestions and concern.

I do have a Moss spring compressor, I kinda know what I am doing, but it has been 20 years since I worked on a TR6 front end and couldn't remember much about how the hub and rotor came off. I'll be removing the hub this week, got the shock out no problem.

Thanks again, everyone.

Big Chill

'75 TR6 slowly coming back from the dead...

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
Removing the hub is not that big a deal check the bearings first or at least repack them if there isn't any play in the trunnion don't mess with it TRF sells rear strengthening plates well worth it look it up this is a job you don't want to do again will take you about 3-4 hours a side

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster