AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CarlosBob Avatar
CarlosBob Silver Member Carlos Valdes-Dapena
Vienna, VA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Nigella"
I recently purchased a 1970 TR6. Brake fluid is discolored so I am flushing it. I assumed that the smaller chamber in the two-part reservoir was for the front brakes, since they are closer to the reservoir. On this car, though, the smaller chamber is connected to the rear brakes. Is that standard on these cars?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Yes...front reservoir is for the rear brakes

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Tiny pistons in the rear brakes-small part of the reservoir, big pistons in the front caliper so big part of the reservoir.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
On the Big Lid reservoirs I really think Girling went too far with the rear dividing wall. On a Spitfire it is all too easy to spill paint eating fluid when trying to fill the thing.

I ended up cutting a small notch in the wall to about 1/4" from the top, just enough to allow the front to overflow to the rear in the final fill.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Yeah, me too...a spillway.

CarlosBob Avatar
CarlosBob Silver Member Carlos Valdes-Dapena
Vienna, VA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Nigella"
Excellent and helpful, one and all. Thanks.

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Funny you mention this, I am in the process of replacing all my braking system and upgrading from glycol to silicon fluid. I noticed the two bake pipes were crossed from the MC to the PDWA meaning that the front reservoir feeds the rear brakes.

Andy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links