Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
Sorry about the title but I couldn't think of any other way to word it.

As I go through the boxes of parts for my TR6 I have come to some that have gaskets or rubber parts (A-arm bushings, carbs, brake calibers etc.).
I expect it will be at least another year and maybe two before this car is started and ready to run.
I know that rubber parts like tires will begin to dry out (dry rot).
So, if I rebuild the carbs now and set them on the shelf will they still be good in 2 years? Will the gaskets dry out or go bad or otherwise fail if not exposed to gasoline or the elements? Brake Calipers and cylinders? Suspension bushings?
I was trying to avoid doing all the work now and then when it came time to install finding out that I have to do it again.
Thanks,
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Best to wait and rebuild as you need them, same with fluids.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498962 by dk pony Sorry about the title but I couldn't think of any other way to word it.

As I go through the boxes of parts for my TR6 I have come to some that have gaskets or rubber parts (A-arm bushings, carbs, brake calibers etc.).
I expect it will be at least another year and maybe two before this car is started and ready to run.
I know that rubber parts like tires will begin to dry out (dry rot).
So, if I rebuild the carbs now and set them on the shelf will they still be good in 2 years? Will the gaskets dry out or go bad or otherwise fail if not exposed to gasoline or the elements? Brake Calipers and cylinders? Suspension bushings?
I was trying to avoid doing all the work now and then when it came time to install finding out that I have to do it again.
Thanks,
Dave

Dave --- I don't think two years is that long of a time for rubber parts to be exposed, considering most of these exposed parts last longer than that when in service. I have had my original ZS carburetors in zipped locked bags for over 30 years. The diaphragms still are pliable, as evidenced when checking or measuring certain parts of these carbs for various other reasons. And for other rubber parts, there's always "ArmorAll" or "Son of a Gun" spray protection.
With large projects it's not always possible to avoid delays in completing, I'd say to do them when time permits and don't be overly concerned about having to do them over.

Dick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 02:13 PM by dicta.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I wouldn't worry about two years.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Put all the suspension rubber together with silicone grease, no air will get to them and will be a good lub when installed.
The brake parts need the red grease for brake parts and the carbs will be fine, just keep them indoors and not in a hot area.
These cars go together much quicker if you can see progress on a weekly basics. A arm on here, rotor attached, bearings seated in the hub. Small steps.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
The sane could be said for any project. Whether it's a milestone like the engine being started or the installation of the brake lines, progress is progress no matter how big or small.
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Everyone has their own "system" when it comes to a restoration. I like to restore each part as it comes off. I keep a notebook so I can document any problems during the cleanup (broken bolts etc.). Then bag it and tag it and put it on the shelf. Iusually order the needed parts and when they come in I put them where they belong within a week or so.
Thanks again!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links