TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

TR6 convertible frame kit? Parts needed?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
Hi guys,

Is there a kit out there to rebuild our convertible top frames? While I have some of the old stuff on the frame, it's probably due for a total rebuild. Since I already have the frame out and i'm planning on sanding, primering and painting it, is there a convenient kit out there to rebuild everything at once?

I know TRF sells a webbing kit, but there's a bunch of other rubber seals and velcro strips which are in various states of decay - at the very least, is there a convenient list out there of the parts I'll need?

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
As I remember it is all hardware store stuff including webbing, pop rivets etc, I had to cut some small metal plates (under the rivets but no big deal.

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
It looks like there are velcro strips and some rubber seals/track stuff - looking at the stuff thats on the frame currently, maybe i could get away with much less new stuff purchased, if it is just hardware.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cobrapatrol Avatar
cobrapatrol Gold Member Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CALIFORNIA, USA   USA
I'd like to find a source for the two rubber bumpers (one on each side) that are riveted into the folding mechanism. I've only ever seen them listed as "NA."

Good luck with your top!

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

tr6easyrider Avatar
tr6easyrider Joe S
Riverside, CA, USA   USA
Jim
Maybe you can try this:
http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/forum/21-body-trim-a-accessories/262938-soft-top-rubber-buffer#460449
and see post #9 for the rivet replacement.

cobrapatrol Avatar
Joe

Thanks for the link, the 74 TR6 contop article linked in post #9 is a great visual help. I just received my hood-stick back from powder coat and it looks great. Now that I can replicate the rubber parts I can also move forward towards the new hood for my TR. Here's a couple of pictures of my refurbished hood-stick.

Thanks again, neighbors, and also Tyler, good luck with your rebuild.

Happy Thanksgiving - Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Attachments:
IMG_1818.JPG    61.4 KB
IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG    60.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
Hi Jim - did the top frame get powder coated while fully together or did you break it down into individual parts?

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
"buckeye triumph" site has a very good section on rebuilding soft top frame for tr6
quite in depth as is the rest of their info

cobrapatrol Avatar
Hi Jim

The powdercoat was done with the frame fully assembled. It came out nicer that I expected.

Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster