TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Finally finished my custom steering wheel.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499144 by twomanytriumphs Your wheel looks great!

I've attached a photo of one my cousin is doing for his dads GT6. This is a wheel that's been sitting on my wall for a couple years, had it sold and the cover literally fell apart in my hands. So it's getting a new life someday. My cousin and I just hope it prompts my uncle to paint his gt6! Kyle.

Myself with my 67 GT6 that I purchased new. It was a really fun car.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
67 4.jpg    21.2 KB
67 4.jpg

Doubledroptop Avatar
Doubledroptop David Freet
Chandler, Arizona, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "White Ghost"
That looks great as so many other people have already stated!. I was wondering what that would cost to replicate? How many actual hours over the last two years and would you be willing to share your process?
Again fantastic workmanship!
Dave

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499161 by Doubledroptop That looks great as so many other people have already stated!. I was wondering what that would cost to replicate? How many actual hours over the last two years and would you be willing to share your process?
Again fantastic workmanship!
Dave

Dave, this all started because I was so disappointment in the look and feel of the available commercial wheels and how they were a mismatch with the wood in the dashes. So I started playing with ideas of what I might like to do. Then began drawing some designs for the wheel with my CAD system. Eventually I came up with the one you see that I liked best of all. That led to contacting a few wood suppliers and found two things; one was that it was hard to find one that could supply both veneer and dimensional material and second even harder to find one that would sort through his stock to find two or three matched groupings to choose from; realizing that the wood needed to be wet down with water to be able to see the grain. My choice was burl black walnut and that also reduced the possibilities. I eventually chose the veneer and stock for the wheel that you see, It is an AAAA grade black walnut burl. It was not cheap but considering what I was doing and the work that would be involved I wanted it to stand out. And in the end I am very happy with it. Besides the wood iss the epoxy ( a gun stock bedding material w/brown dye) chosen for it's strength. some p17 and 316 stainless and some stainless filler rod, and clear cote urethane, and sandpaper and other misc supplies.
Tools included saws, drill, router w/several bits. sprayer, wood carving tools, wood rasps, files, TIG welder, measuring tools, laser for cutting mounting plates for spokes, die grinder, milling machine.
If I were to do it again I would do more with a CNC router, especially the 3D work on the wheel rim.
These photos show give some idea of the planning of the project.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0932.JPG    45.6 KB
IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG    41.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
034 1st _clear.JPG    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster