TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

Any Reasonable Way to remove Door Hinge PINS ???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lou6t4gto Lou Breslow
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
I've got a bunch of TR6 Door Hinges here. Trying to re-pin them. Is there a "secret way" of getting the old broken pins Out ??? short of dynamite? LOL. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, Nebraska, USA   USA
No secret. Heat and violence.

You could soak them in a penetrant first.

Ed

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
They are a .312 diameter pin that is splined on one end so they have to be driven out from the opposite end from the splines. The pins wear out and the hole gets oversize so you have a sloppy hinge There are a couple ways to repair them, make or buy some bushings and bush the center lug, or drill and ream the holes to accept a .375 pin available at most parts stores which I just finished doing this past week. OR just buy new complete hinges from the RF.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498725 by Bpt70gt They are a .312 diameter pin that is splined on one end so they have to be driven out from the opposite end from the splines. The pins wear out and the hole gets oversize so you have a sloppy hinge There are a couple ways to repair them, make or buy some bushings and bush the center lug, or drill and ream the holes to accept a .375 pin available at most parts stores which I just finished doing this past week. OR just buy new complete hinges from the RF.

Thanks for this info, Brian. My TR4A needs this job done to it also. By "parts stores" you mean places like Advance Auto and the likes?
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Yes Doug, they usually have a variety. You may have to do slight modifications to the pin depending on what you can find there. I easily punched my old pins out and then I drilled the holes out in my Bridgeport and then reamed the hole for an exact fit. The hinges work smooth now. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
I found the replacement pins I bought to be slightly oversized, so I simply reamed the worn bores to 0.316-0.317 and all was good.

Some pics and detail here:

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-62/TR6-62.html

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 09:44 PM by ed.h.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Ed,
Where did you source your reamers from? Been thinking about this project a while now, and thought maybe drilling out the hinge holes and using bronze inserts, but that may be over-engineering the whole thing. Seems simply using a larger pin and reaming to size is the way to go.

Brian,
Yes, do post a picture.
Doug

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Nice procedure there ED. The holes in my hinges were pretty sloppy and I didn't measure them but I have my doubts that pins only .005 oversize would have worked in my case hence I went with the .375 pins. For obvious reasons the drivers side had much more wear. Bronze inserts would be a nice remedy, I actually had one oillite bushing but didn't want to stop and order more so I went with the larger pins which I had purchased some time back.

ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Doug--

For what might be a one- (or several-) time use, you don't need expensive reamers. A 0.316" reamer is a fairly standard size (letter "O" drill), so it's pretty easy. Even Amazon sells it for under $20. 0.317 is a little harder. I don't remember where I got it, but it was through a Google search.

If you want to consider going this way, get your pins first. They will determine what size reamer(s) you need. I reamed about 0.001 larger than the pin.

Ed

ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Brian--

Yes, I was a little surprised how little mine were actually worn considering how sloppy they felt. The oversized pins were serendipity.

Ed

Lou6t4gto Lou Breslow
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
But, WHAT 3 BOOKS did he take ?? LOL

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
These are photos of the method I used to be able to lube the clutch/brake shafts on my Midget and TR6 also the door hinges on both cars. I drilled with a center drill deep enough for the grease gun adapter to fit and then could easily force the grease in.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Attachments:
IMG_7387.JPG    65 KB
IMG_7387.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG    47.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_7384.JPG    34 KB
IMG_7385.JPG    31.2 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
In reply to # 1498766 by Lou6t4gto But, WHAT 3 BOOKS did he take ?? LOL

One cannot choose but wonder. What 3 books would you take . . .if you had "all the time in the world"? winking smiley

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1498749 by ed.h Doug--

For what might be a one- (or several-) time use, you don't need expensive reamers. A 0.316" reamer is a fairly standard size (letter "O" drill), so it's pretty easy. Even Amazon sells it for under $20. 0.317 is a little harder. I don't remember where I got it, but it was through a Google search.

If you want to consider going this way, get your pins first. They will determine what size reamer(s) you need. I reamed about 0.001 larger than the pin.

Ed

I used a tapered ream, and the pins I used came with fluted, press in bushings.
In 30 + years when the bushings wear (they are bigger in wear area so they could last longer) I will just replace the bushings.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Tony, in 30+ years when you do replace them, I'll likely be watching you from the balcony, doing the job. winking smiley
Doug

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster