Feedback on replacing Differential Oil Seals and Axle Bearings

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drsmod Dan Smodic
Kalamazoo, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
I have some oil leaking coming out of the differential on my 75 TR6. The car runs nice but I was thinking of doing a replacement to the Axle Oil Seals and bearings, Gasket Differential cover and the pinion bearing and oil seal. I'm hoping that I can do this work under the car without having to drop the Differential. I'm I correct? Not sure if I want to drop out the differential and deal with the inside bearings, etc... at this time.

For those of you that have worked on the differential, what do you think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
You can not replace the pinion shaft oil seal with the differential still hanging from it's mounts..It has to come down.
There are going to be some issues with replacing anything within the inner axle housing.
There is a forum participant "PhilJ" who offers that service...This topic may get his attention.
Replacing the gasket between the cover and case, is no problem with the differential still in place.
BUT, you might see if the cotter pin in the differential air vent is still loose. If it's stuck and if the vent hole is clogged up, that alone will increase the likelihood of oil leaks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 12:13 PM by poolboy.

TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
Back in about '99 or thereabouts I replaced the side axle bearings and seals and rear cover gasket. I did not change the pinion seal. I had help from a guy who runs the local community college auto shop, along with the use of their shop press to separate the bearings from the inner axle shafts. That was quite a process… took lots of pressure and heat and WD40 before the bearings separated. I think I'm remembering that right.

Definitely no way to do any of this without dropping the diff. The rear of the diff is supported on mountings built into the rear cover, so in order to remove the rear cover you have to remove it from the chassis mounts. Not sure how you'd do that without dropping the whole diff 'cuz I don't think you'd want to let the diff hang on the forward pins. Makes me shudder a bit just thinking about it.

The good news is this: After that (and in spite of having NOT changed the pinion seal) the differential hasn't leaked a drop of oil since.

And yes, I DID put oil in it when I was done!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498712 by TRoutMac
Definitely no way to do any of this without dropping the diff. The rear of the diff is supported on mountings built into the rear cover, so in order to remove the rear cover you have to remove it from the chassis mounts. Not sure how you'd do that without dropping the whole diff 'cuz I don't think you'd want to let the diff hang on the forward pins. Makes me shudder a bit just thinking about it.
Support it.

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
You need to drop the differential to change the pinion seal and out put shaft seals, this also gives you a chance to check output shaft U joints and splines also you can check the differential mounting brackets for cracks. I did mine last winter, rebuilt the diff and new seals, over all I am happy with the job. As mentioned after taking off the output shafts getting those bearing off was a job, took them to my buddies shop and had to use a large hydraulic press. Good luck.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Attachments:
output shafts.jpg    57.3 KB
output shafts.jpg

diff complete1.JPG    46.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
philstr6 phil Jaegeling
arroyo grande calif, USA   USA
Dan
sent you a pm
Philstr6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster