AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bassack42 Avatar
bassack42 Silver Member Steve Henderson
Newport News, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Maggie Mae"
Had a leak in my front carb. Took both carbs off as a set, r/r the needle valves (the old ones did not appear to be stuck), r/r gaskets, r/r floats. Cleaned carbs up. I will be putting them back on this weekend. My question is...Are the brass plugs for the bowls supposed to be that loose? They seem to just pull right out. I am going to replace the o-ring, but jeez, they seem loose. Any things to look for while putting these carbs back on? And should I use non-ethanol gas from now on when I can?
Thanks....Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
The brass on the 74 carbs float chamber plugs are similar to a bottle cap, a covering over the plastic body of the plug.
Sometimes the brass cap will be loose but the plug is tight...nevertheless, like a LOT of the rubbery components in the ZS carbs the O-ring seal around the plug does have a limited lifespan and the plug is actually loose because of the O-ring seal.
I can't say I've seen for myself where ethanol has been a contributing factor to any decomposition within the carbs per se that I've worked on.
My engine actually seems to prefer 89 octane 10% ethanol as opposed to 87 octane gasoline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 12:02 PM by poolboy.

bassack42 Avatar
Thank you Ken....I have a huge kit of various o-rings and will find a good replacement and go with that. There is a gas station about 15 miles away that sells unleaded. I will fill it up over there I guess when I can. If not, I ain't gonna worry about it!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Might be worth mentioning that not all O-rings are created equal. They come in different materials for different applications. The EPDM that is probably most common does not hold up well to gasoline (or gasohol); Buna-N (aka nitrile rubber, probably 2nd most common) works much better with most petroleum products.
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Gasoline%2C%20Automotive#mat

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
2nd that!
You need to get some fuel purpose O-rings.

PM your address and Ill send you a pair.

In reply to # 1498338 by TR3driver Might be worth mentioning that not all O-rings are created equal. They come in different materials for different applications. The EPDM that is probably most common does not hold up well to gasoline (or gasohol); Buna-N (aka nitrile rubber, probably 2nd most common) works much better with most petroleum products.
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Gasoline%2C%20Automotive#mat

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

bassack42 Avatar
Ok.....Thank you Doug for the O-rings. I bookmarked your website. The carbs are on, working, and most of all, not Leaking! Took her for a test drive (15 miles or so) and had no problems. I'll tell you what though, I think I can now take my carbs off and on next time with a lot less time and apprehension. Screwed up a few things, but then figured them out. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Steve, Virginia

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
Good job Steve, that's how we learn, ask questions and figure it out.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster