AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Replacement Toyota Transmission

Hi Everyone

I'm considering update my transmission to a 5 speed Toyota W58. I'm not familiar with the transmission. Can anyone help with the following questions -

1. Is the Toyota W58 the correct replacement transmission for the common conversion kits?

2. How do you identify a W58 Toyota transmission?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
In reply to # 1497760 by 74TR6Oshawa Replacement Toyota Transmission

Hi Everyone

I'm considering update my transmission to a 5 speed Toyota W58. I'm not familiar with the transmission. Can anyone help with the following questions -

1. Is the Toyota W58 the correct replacement transmission for the common conversion kits?

2. How do you identify a W58 Toyota transmission?

Thanks
http://www.hvdaconversions.com/products.html

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
This site has better information about the w58 gearbox

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/5speedRatio.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Thank you both.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
The chart of gear ratios shown in Danielson's page's one of the original copies for the conversion. The HVDA Instruction Manual has since been edited to show the change between the early TR and the Six, notably in first gear.

Dick

Attachments:
IMG_2428.JPG    58.4 KB
IMG_2428.JPG

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Thanks Dick

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
In addition to the preferred OD ratio identified in the literature, you should try to buy the W58 gearbox with the steel sandwich plate rather than the aluminum plate. The steel version is said to be stronger, but both will handle more horsepower than your engine will make.

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Thanks John. A follow-up question. What is the sandwich plate and where is it located?

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
The W58 sandwich plate (it's called the intermediate plate in the manual) is about an inch thick machined piece and located between the gearbox case and the tail housing. The gearbox internals are mounted in this plate.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster