TVR owner needs your help with clutch line

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jlindsay Jeff Lindsay
spring hill, FL, USA   USA
Hi Guys, As you know, the 2500M borrows much from your TR6 however, many things are slightly different. For instance, the clutch line. Yours uses a hard line/ flex line combination while the TVR runs a red flex line the entire run. The ID is slightly less than 1/8" which translates to 3/16" hard line. Albert at TRF says the TR6 hard line is 1/4" pipe. Are your systems 1/4" for the entire run? My replacement TRW master cylinder is threaded 3/8-24 while the replacement slave is 7/16-20. Anyone have experience with 3/16 vs 1/4 for the clutch line? Any info would be appreciated. Jeff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
clutch.jpg    41.7 KB
clutch.jpg

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jeff, I think on the TR4/A there was an adapter to convert the line at the slave. Don't believe it is available anywhere.
I can only suggest you get a flare tool and put a bubble on the end you need along with the fitting.
When doing the bubble flare be sure follow the instructions Clean out the tube and file the end at a angle all the way around, This will help start the bubble. It takes two times to get it large enough to seal.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
If it doesn't have to look original, you might try contacting TSi and see if they can make a custom line with braided SS and the fittings you need.http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/
ISTR Ted once suggested that (for a different reason) but I found an alternate solution and never followed through. They do make nice brake lines, though (I've got several sets from them).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jlindsay Jeff Lindsay
Thanks for the input guys. Making bubble flares with the correct adapters wouldn't be a problem nor would having a custom line commercially made. My only question is what size line is on the TR6? Does anyone have experience with 3/16" line vs 1/4" line? There is a lot of contradictory info online about the two sizes! Thanks! Jeff

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The diameter of the line does not matter.

Personally I would go with Randall's suggestion

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
When I added a remote vacuum booster to my clutch system I used a combination of 1/4" amd 3/16" lines. I drove the car over 2k miles the last part of this season and it ran perfectly with the combination of pipes and the booster. The booster had ports for 3/16" lines and the master had 1/4". So I simply combined the pipes in the more convenient places. Maybe not the most beautiful work in the world but at least I can still drive the car and hopefully get a few more years of enjoyment from it.
Some pics in this is thread.
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1491697.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jeff, checked it at little while ago and 3/16 to the flex line. The flex line had the larger fitting at the slave.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

jlindsay Jeff Lindsay
Thank you, Wayne, and everybody else for the help! Your forum is tops when it comes to caring and helpful members! Jeff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster