TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

How many CUBES can be had out of a TR6 block ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lou6t4gto Lou Breslow
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
I know these engines already have a 3.75" Stroke, But Can the Block be "Bored and sleeved" to get some "respectable " cubic Displacement ? It would Be nice to have a 230 cube engine in there ! Of course the head would need to be setup with bigger valves, but is such a thing "Do-able" ? (Look Stock, but more power) ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Lou, No.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Been a while since I heard someone talking about engine capacity in cubic inches ;-)

Someone tried increasing the stroke of a 1500cc crank to get something like 1700cc.I guess the same could be done to a to TR6 crank to give another 300cc But that would seem to be a very stupid and expensive way of gaining the possibility of some power. As the stroke is pretty long (or too long) to start with.

A better way might be to consider Super charging, I know some members here have done that.

What state of tune is the engine right now? What are you aiming for?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lou6t4gto Lou Breslow
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
I'm used to a Fiero 2.5 4 cyl,(Anemic) the 2.5 "6" in the triumph is not a "powerhouse" even with the 3.70 gears. Have 2 Fiero's with 3.8SC, a '72 Z28, 455 olds. '71cutlass. I'd like some more power out of the Triumph but will probably leave it stock. was just daydreaming.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Perhaps you need to contact Rob Roodhouse in the UK, who races a TR6 whose declared capacity is 2.725ccs.

I was racing him yesterday at Brands Hatch in my 2L Vitesse.
John

Ps I beat him in qualy! But he was a second a lap faster in the race. In which the track was outstandingly slippery!

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
The man is looking for 230 cubic inches not centimeters.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497480 by dsixnero The man is looking for 230 cubic inches not centimeters.

Yeah , he's looking for 3.8 liters out of a 2.5. I don't think so Tim...eye popping smiley Hey, 230 cubic inches = one gallon. grinning smiley

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

YankeeTR5 Dan M
Seattle, washington, USA   USA
Paeco used to, and may still, sell a stroker kit for the 2.5L. I believe it would take it to 2.7L if I remember correctly. Also, I know of a couple of folks who have bored out the cylinders to a max of 2.7L with the stock crank. The problem with going beyond that size is blowing headgaskets as the spacing between the cylinders for the headgasket is not enough.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1497364 by Lou6t4gto I know these engines already have a 3.75" Stroke, But Can the Block be "Bored and sleeved" to get some "respectable " cubic Displacement ? It would Be nice to have a 230 cube engine in there ! Of course the head would need to be setup with bigger valves, but is such a thing "Do-able" ? (Look Stock, but more power) ?

It is far easier to raise the compression by shaving the head on these motors to get some power, they lack compression as the state of the art emission controls at the time were pretty crude.

Most people aim for 9.5:1. That is good for +12 HP and it is added from 1,000 RPM to red line. That is far and away the best power adder and cheap if you pull the head yourself. Add a three angle valve job (+2%) and a mild cam. Easy does it on the cam. K&N air filters (+2%) and you are looking at a torquey 140HP motor for not much money. Really wakes up the car and you still get 25 MPG.

But increasing displacement on these motors, well, very difficult and expensive. If you must go all out, the supercharger kit is supposed to work well, but I have always favored sleepers - stock looking but with some extra scoot. Besides, I think the supercharger kit is too expensive.

All IMHO, of course.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
As someone who has the supercharger kit on a 9:1 CR engine it is nice.. good torque from pretty much idle. Means you don't use the top end much but it is there if you need it. However it is not a simple bolt on option. There is a fair amount of optimisation that has to be done with the Carburation (modified Holley) if you want a perfect ride.. And yes it is expenses, luckily got mine second hand which cut costs somewhat.
Cheers
Tim

Lou6t4gto Lou Breslow
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
I Have 2 Supercharged V6s, And and an Extra SuperCharger ! Can you post a picture of your" setup" so I can See How the carbs are setup ? Thanks

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Hi
If you mean me, details of the SC setup are here.
http://72tr6.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-big-reassembly.html?m=1
Going to update soon as have done some work on the intake and timing.
Cheers
Tim

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1497480 by dsixnero The man is looking for 230 cubic inches not centimeters.

Dan,
I know the difference between Litres and cubic inches, can use either, although I have to use a calculator.
2.725L (166cu.Ins) is the most I have ever heard of from a TR that had kept it's original block, so I gave that as an example.

You might like to do the sums. V = Pi x R squared x Height
If at 230cu.in. (3769ccs) it keeps the long stroke (95mm=9.5cms and makes the Litres calculation easier) the R(adius) = SQR(V/Pi x height) (where height=stroke) or SQR(3769/3.12416 x 9.5) =11.2cms, so Diameter (bore)= 2R = 22cms or 8.7 inches.
As the original bores are no more tham a few mm apart when they are 7.47cm (2.94 inches) across, I'd say that 230cu.in. was the product of an inflated imagination, wouldn't you?

John

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
John, yes, that was my point.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster