Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Most likely a silly question, but is it possible to R&R the TA bushings without completely removing the trailing arms from the car? If you just drop the front of the arms down a few inches can you press in/press out the bushings in situ with a threaded rod and socket apparatus?

Thanks!

SR
73 TR6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 08:06 AM by Uberxy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
I did the replacement that way, including spring bushings. It was quite difficult and took a long time. One of the most difficult steps was getting the arms back into the brackets true enough to get the bolts back in.

TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
I would never try to do it that way… apparently others have done it and succeeded, but it seems like it would make the job much more difficult and much more frustrating than it needs to be. I suppose the worst part about removing the entire arm from the car is pulling the axles. The nuts/bolts that secure the inner axles to the drive flanges on the diff aren't particularly fun to deal with. But still, having the arm out and away from the car makes everything MUCH easier to deal with. Plus, you can (if you're so inclined) clean the arm up thoroughly and even paint it.

While you have the axles out, you can take care of other things like (perhaps) changing UJs (which I'm going to have to do soon) and--whenever you have the axles off--always re-torque the big nyloc nut that secures the drive flange to the inner axle shaft. I think it gets 110 foot-pounds. You don't want these to become loose… ask me how I know.

Good luck!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada   CAN
Steve,

I just had the bushings and the brackets changed a month ago without removing completely the trailing arms. I could'nt have done it myself, my mechanic did. Total time around three hours with alingment. To do it that way I realized that you need a lift. I used Goodparts (two part) bushings and I changed the brackets for ajustable ones. Very glad I did.

Good luck.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497335 by TRoutMac While you have the axles out, you can take care of other things like (perhaps)

Also, a good time to replace the upper & lower rear coil spring pads, which do wear out.
A good opportunity to clean and paint the coil springs, too.

And, pump grease through the u-joint nipples, and apply fresh grease to the axle splines.

Good time, also, to R&R the diff oil, bleed rear brakes, adjust rear brakes, check for leaks at wheel cylinder boots.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Brett E Brett Evans
Columbus, Ohio, USA   USA
1973 Triumph TR6 "Scarlet Harlot"
While you're in there...

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Thanks all. I was hoping that replacing $8 worth of bushings would be a simple job...

I did the rear springs and their caps a few weeks ago. So easy! U joints and new shocks done as well.

SR
73 TR6

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
i second all who say to remove trailing arms to do the bushing work.
trying thia in situ invites danger and injury and inclomplete job.
fhis tak is one of last majors awaiting me. wish i had done so when replacing rear hubs.
but have always been luckier than smart.
wes

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
I replaced my bushing last winter, removed trailing arms, good time to check everything out, U joints, splines, rebuilt Diff and reinforced mounting brackets after finding right front cracked.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497335 by TRoutMac I suppose the worst part about removing the entire arm from the car is pulling the axles. The nuts/bolts that secure the inner axles to the drive flanges on the diff aren't particularly fun to deal with.

Actually not bad at all. After removing the brake parts and backing plate I use a 3/8" drive ratchet with a long extension. And while sitting on a stool I just use a box end on the diff side and a thin-wall socket on an extension long enough to reach from the side of the car. Makes a quick and easy job of it.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
The inner portion of the rear axle does not need to be unbolted from the differential flanges for a TA bushing replacement.

This is because the rear axle will slide apart at the splines. Only the outer part needs to be removed to drop the semi-trailing arms.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 11:15 AM by Sapphire.

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
A note I received this morning from Richard Good regarding his split TA bushings:

"Steve,

Yes you should be able to install the bushings with the trailing arm still connected.

Richard Good"

SR
73 TR6

Attachments:
image.jpeg    32 KB
image.jpeg

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Wow yes true. However is still likely this point I would
Remove the rear hub spline asst just save weight handling... but yes you can leave inner spline in place just keep it clean...I replaced rear hubs with
Richard foods hubs using u joints etc ... his hubs are a lightyear better... but it was the nost miserable work replacing unjoints and getting back together...
This thread interesting all the different views
Most making sense...even I stilll thunk argument favors removing the arms and all... have the lightest assy possible to work on...
Wes

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I did it without removing the trailing arm and without a lift, just jack stands and a floor jack. Be sure to note the position of the brackets though! If you like the rear tire lean (or lack thereof) you want them to go back as they came off. Some site I looked at said there were 36(?) different combinations possible for putting those in.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links