Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RichardwVT Avatar
RichardwVT Richard Whitehead
BURLINGTON, VERMONT, USA   USA
Hi ! thanks for letting me join. I have a '74 TR6 with a few intermittent electrical issues. I had a problem of either all the lights except the headlights coming on OR the inverse of that.
I isolated the problem to the main switch on the dash. I've ordered a replacement. But while that is on its way I wired in a simple one /off switch which cured the above problem , but I joined the headlight (Blue) wire plus the other lights (Grn/ red) together with a jumper wire. I thought this would mimic the situation on the stock switch, but now the indicators dont work all the time, the high beam pilot light flashes instead of the turn pilot light . So I'm guessing the stock switch is doing something else? I looked at the wiring diagram and there is something in line - is this a question of a resistor or something in the switch itself , as I only made the change above so I can drive after dark. I should have the replacement switch in a few days , just wanted to make sure I'm not damaging anything and find a reason for the strange behavior of the other lights Thx
Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Should work fine linking the blue to the red/green at the main switch. Just means the marker lights come on at the same time as the headlights, instead of having two stages. So I think your other problems are somewhere else.

I'm not sure about the "something in line"; are you talking about the little box that appears in the wire from the main switch to the dimmer switch? That's just a bullet connector (sleeve). The only resistor is in the ignition circuit (ballast resistor wire).

The hi beam indicator flashing sounds like wires crossed somewhere, or maybe bulb holders swapped around?

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
The question is was everything working before and suddenly this happened if so the switch is suspect also when you install the switch there are numbers on the back of the switch to coincide with the wires go to Bob Danielson's site he goes through the whole procedure in detail with pictures are the hazards working

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RichardwVT Avatar
RichardwVT Richard Whitehead
BURLINGTON, VERMONT, USA   USA
Thx I thought that would be OK I agree I think there are problems elsewhere

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496778 by RichardwVT Hi ! thanks for letting me join. I have a '74 TR6 with a few intermittent electrical issues. I had a problem of either all the lights except the headlights coming on OR the inverse of that.
I isolated the problem to the main switch on the dash. I've ordered a replacement. But while that is on its way I wired in a simple one /off switch which cured the above problem , but I joined the headlight (Blue) wire plus the other lights (Grn/ red) together with a jumper wire. I thought this would mimic the situation on the stock switch, but now the indicators dont work all the time, the high beam pilot light flashes instead of the turn pilot light . So I'm guessing the stock switch is doing something else? I looked at the wiring diagram and there is something in line - is this a question of a resistor or something in the switch itself , as I only made the change above so I can drive after dark. I should have the replacement switch in a few days , just wanted to make sure I'm not damaging anything and find a reason for the strange behavior of the other lights Thx
Richard

Richard --- Many times these main light toggle switches can be repaired by taking it apart to see what failed. (dried grease, etc.) Worth a look? Something to do rather than reinvent the headlight power path?
See Dan Masters take on this.

Dick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links