Accelerator Shaft Bushing

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ripvwsss Dennis B
Forest, Virginia, USA   USA
Has anyone used this bushing replacement? The bushings on my car are shot. I like the idea of the brass but it looks like you have to remove the shaft to do the replacement. I am trying to decide between this one and the one offered by Good Parts. It looks like the Good Parts approach can be done without removing the shaft, but the bushing is made of Nylatron.

Thanks
Dennis
'76 TR6

http://mowoguniversity.com/britspeed-performance-parts.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
I used Richard Good's set (https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=896). Because of their design, I didn't have to remove the shaft! I did have to do a little filing for the bushings to fit the hole in the bulkhead.

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
I also installed the GoodParts bushings. It was easy to make the one-piece passenger side go in with a little light dremel work on the bulkhead but getting both halves of the split bushing on the driver's side to fit was a killer with the shaft in place. Trimming the nylatron bushing took a lot longer than I thought it would. After removing some of the material from one of the pieces, I was able to drive it in with a drift. It is really in there tight although the shaft turns freely and I didn't need to use the metal collar. It looks like it came with the car and should last forever.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
I use bushings that look like the ones at the link you provided, Dennis, although I purchased mine from British Parts Northwest.

They work well and aren't difficult to install, though you do have to remove the accelerator shaft. That's not such a horrible thing though, as it gives you the opportunity to clean it up, maybe straighten it out a bit if needed (mine needed it!).

Good luck!

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I used the kit that Art Lipp makes. Works great and very easy to install but I also had my accelerator shaft out.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 07:12 PM by TR250Guy.

Attachments:
IMG_0241.jpg    30.3 KB
IMG_0241.jpg

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
Art Lipp or Goodparts. Tim

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
I found the GoodParts kit easy to install, works well.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
If you do have to remove the shaft, you probably also have to remove the control lever.
And if you had it previously adjusted on the shaft so that you could obtain WOT with the accelerator pedal 'floored", you may have to go thru a procedure in order to return to that condition.
You can mark the spot, but since the splines are so fine, it doesn't take much of a miss to make a noticeable difference.
For that reason alone, I have RG's kit ready to install if the current bushings ever do wear down.

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
What Ken says about positioning the control lever is why I did not remove the shaft. The bulkhead holes for the shaft on my car needed a bit of relief that I was unable to do on the driver's side with the shaft in place. The dremel grindstone in Tim's picture is too large to use on the driver's side but made short work on the passenger side and was what I used to trim the bushing.that ruined the grindstone in the process.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I realize there are a couple of similar ways but this is how I did mine in 2006. I got a couple bushings and a locking collar from McMaster Carr. After some slight work with a Dremmel it slipped in without having to get under the dash on the passenger side. I took the photos as I slipped it in place and it hasn't been touched since that day some 60k miles ago.
It lets me remove and replace the shaft with the engine in place.
I also do not have to work under the passenger side of the dash while installing or removing the shaft.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Attachments:
bushing_07.jpg    20.9 KB
bushing_07.jpg

bushing_08.jpg    23.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bushing_09.jpg    23.9 KB
bushing_11.jpg    42.9 KB
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Tom,
That’s a great solution and very well done...it’s on my list to do!
Rut

KVE Avatar
KVE Keith Eatwell
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I turned my own out of hard nylon. Left the back of bushing. 010 bigger than body hole. Split bushing in half and pressed it into body hole with flat of a screwdriver. The .010 locks it into the hole. Works great. Also done it for a GT6.

ripvwsss Dennis B
Forest, Virginia, USA   USA
Tom,

Great looking solution. I know it's been a while, but do you remember to sizes of the bushings and collar?

Thanks,
Dennis

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Gentlemen

A few years back the club heard about the bearings and collar that Tom spoke of from McMaster -Carr.

What I have are # 6338K461 for the Bearings, need 2, and # 6435K13 for the collar. The package states 3/8 ID PC split steel shaft collar.

At the time I believe we purchased enough for 10 cars to get the lower price of bulk purchase. Everyone who installed them has been pleased.

Red

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Thanks Red, Had our British Group meeting last evening and didn't get around to answering the question. I was also working on my new steering wheel and was a little late to a lunch date with some of the members befort the meeting.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Attachments:
bushing.jpg    47 KB
bushing.jpg

IMG_1912.JPG    39 KB
IMG_1021.JPG    70.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster