AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Opening gauges
  This topic is about my 1972 Triumph TR6
rrblizard Bob Blizard
MA, Acton, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Archie Da Triumph"
I'm pretty sure I've seen this covered somewhere, but google et al have let me down.

I'm trying to repaint my gauge bezels and clean the glass faces, but it's not entirely clear how to get the bezels off. It looks as if they should twist a bit and then come off, but before I break them, I figure I should consult the hive mind.

Any tricks I should know about? Also, any preferred sources for the various o-rings and such that I will need to replace?

Thanks in advance. This forum is a great resource.

Bob Blizard

'72 TR6 CC782xx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgnuts Avatar
Midgnuts Silver Member Dean Webb
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
Bob,

Look closely at the back side of the bezel and you'll see around a half doz. small tabs about 1/8 inch wide that need to be gently pried up slightly to loosen the grip of the bezel and they will twist off once lined up with the slots.
Easy does it - as they need to be snugged down again after you do your magic. If they've not been attended to in a long time the O rings are usually hard or deteriorated and often stuck to the glass or metal.
O rings can be had from most vendors or an Instrument repair shop. New glass is also available also - don't ask me how I know.

DW

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, Ohio, USA   USA
I took my gauges apart two years ago, disassembled and sand blasted the inside of the housings and repainted, there is a good web site , google tr6 gauge refurbishing and you will see it, I copied the link, but for some reason it won't after I copied it. Good info there. Once you get the glass off then you will need to disassemble the gauge from the unit, be careful, I broke my oil pressure needle and had to replace the gauge. When you clean the black faces, watch the white letting, you will wipe it off if you use a strong cleaner, clean very carefully. I installed new bulbs also, still not very bright. Good luck, good winter project.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, Mississippi, USA   USA
Maybe the 73 and later gauges are different, but on those speedometers and tachometers, there's no need to bend the tabs on the bezel. You just rotate the bezel until the tabs line up with the corresponding slots in the instrument's case and then pull the bezel off.

dk pony Avatar
dk pony David C
MT Carmel, TN, USA   USA
I just refurbished all my gauges last winter. I haven't installed them yet as the car won't be ready for a while.
The gasket material between the case and the bezel becomes hard and brittle and won't let the bezel slide enough to be able to turn it.
I used a sharp knife to go around the bezel chipping out any of the material I could get to. Eventually I got enough out that it allowed me to turn the bezel to line up the tabs and remove it.
I used a couple of drops of Dawn Dish Detergent in a half glass of water for cleaning the gauge faces. I used a Q-Tip and LIGHTLY cleaned the faces. Then a light coating of Pledge and done. Don't use a wiping motion or you will just wipe the markings right off the faces.
I used plumbers putty when i reinstalled the bezels. It is pliable and can be be cleaned off easily if any squeezes out. I know it won't remain pliable forever but it will last a good many years.

20170118_145950_zpsepr0wxnb by Firebird2, on Flickr

This picture was before I painted the bezel but had already cleaned the face.

20170225_181111_zpsgu1cghnt by Firebird2, on Flickr

This is the ammeter case. Once you get them apart you will find that all of the 2 inch gauges have the same case. Just different internals and faces. Note the three slots on the outside rim of the case. Those slots correspond with the tabs on the bezel.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-05 06:38 PM by dk pony.

Midgnuts Avatar
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
While I agree with Ken, I can only say that things don't always work out the way they are supposed to.
I had both my gauges refurbished cosmetically and functionally by a reputable instrument shop, and it was worth every penny. Both look brand new and function perfectly. Rock steady.
While I can appreciate that some can't do that, I have resided myself to the fact that if I want things to be the best they can be, I opt to pay the price for things that are beyond my capabilities.
No regrets especially if it's a car you plan on keeping for a while.
DW

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496144 by Midgnuts I had both my gauges refurbished cosmetically and functionally by a reputable instrument shop, and it was worth every penny. Both look brand new and function perfectly.

Which shop did the work for you Dean? Got any photos of the finished gauges?

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
This is just a quick clean up of the gauges.....

Cheers
Tush

Midgnuts Avatar
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
George,

I had Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento, CA do my gauges.

DW

Attachments:
IMG_0411-1.JPG    54.5 KB
IMG_0411-1.JPG

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496177 by M. Pied Lourd This is just a quick clean up of the gauges.....

Cheers
Tush

Cats are so sincere in their efforts to help. smiling smiley

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster