AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rough running all of a sudden
  This topic is about my 1976 Triumph TR6
alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
marquette, michigan, USA   USA
Hello to all,,,,

After a nice evening ride I went to start car to go too work in the morning.it was chilly out around 30.The car started normally and let warm up as usual.I then started out to a very rough running motor which hesitated with more throttle applied.Without knowing directly it feels and sounds as if the carbs jets might be dirty or frozen.i will try sea foam later,

After work I started car again to no avail...i can rev it up but it still won't kick out of the bogging downi action like in the morning.Wondering if it might be a good idea to send the carbs to Ken this winter

Thanks...Roger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
I would check the dist first see if the points are tight maybe the condenser what makes you think it's the carbs , take the tops off the carbs maybe the diaphragm is torn they tend to dry out over time

alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
Not sure ...kinda grabbing at straws right now...I have electronic ignition installed..I’ll look at cap and rotor tonite....thx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA   USA
Did you check the diaphragms in the carbs for any cracks?

alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
No I did not check those...I will have to research how to do that....thanks

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495461 by alexwoof Hello to all,,,,

... chilly out around 30.The car started normally and let warm up as usual.I then started out to a very rough running motor which hesitated with more throttle applied.

Thanks.

Any chance you let it warm up on choke? May have fouled a plug. Cheap and easy enough to check.

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Or have you possibly suddenly developed a vacuum leak?
I have had hoses pop off their fittings on the least pretext.
no kidding.
could be the electronic ignition is on the curly, and trying to
fry the coil...(I tried conversion, went straight back to points...
and they are fine)... these are frustrating, but you'll get to
the bottom of it.
wes

sorry, I'm all wet, bogging down...coil troubles are more abrupt than that...
oil in the dashpots need topping up, changing, if temp is 30 F and you use thick
oil in carb damper, maybe resists too much and damper can't rise?
I find a thicker oil in carb damper works best for me, but that is lately, and has been
ambient warm around here months and we hardly see less than 50F in my area....
Wes

alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
Thanks to all for the help....I will update when I can get things going...pretty much driving weather is done up here in the UP...Roger

cant be that bad, I found a man in Quebec City with TR6...this time of year
and weather dint stop him...
be strong.
wes

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Just had another thought (and cheap thing to check). If one of the throttle spindle connections should loosen the symptoms would be as you described. At start-up, both carb's throttles would be opened by the cold-start cams equally and the engine would run and warm normally. Even coming off the enricher would allow both carb's throttle linkages close equally to their idle RPM. Opening the throttle with the pedal, though, would only effect one of the and the other would stay at idle. = A very flat & rough engine.

taylorj8 Jeremy Taylor
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
I had a similar issue. My car ran fine. I parked it for a couple of days then couldn't get it to start. Then it started and ran fine for a while. Then it wouldn't start. Traced it down to the fuel pickup line in the gas tank. The inside of the line was full of rust and it was acting like a valve. I have since replaced the gas tank and changed the pickup line to aluminum. Problem solved.

alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
Good morning to all

I had a chance last nite to look at my car.

1) changed cap and rotor...no change
2)replaced one diaphragm in front carb....defiantly helped but still a little boggy
3)changed all plugs.....helped again...nice idle and rev but

Took ride on hwy and upon flooring it in 3rd gear still have a slight bog...it seems like a jet or something might have dirt as it feels like it wants to blow it through but doesn't or cannot.

Thanks,Roger

Roger,
you seem at the 90%+ point...
Peter and Jeremy make sense, though checking
the throttle spindle spring clamp connectors is easier than
gas tank lines...
(i would stop on side or road, make adjustments ,
forget to tighten spindle clamp, set off again...
then wonder why when calling for power ... "bogging"
again, one carb can run six cylinders until you
require byond minimum power...)
If you had dirt on a jet needle, i would think the running
would be more than a"slight" bog in third, that would be much more erratic.
but then again you must suspect everything and track them down ...
it took example me attacking vacuum leaks several times to sort
out much bad running.. and only then did adjusting mixture and balancing
carb airflow mean much...
i think you are very close to solving it. when you replaced diaphragm di you also nspect needle
and jet? would seeem the time.
what about the other carb?
regards
wes

toteman Avatar
toteman Terry Thomas
Trabuco Canyon, Calif, USA   USA
Just a thought
My car would run good then start missing or running rough. I change the spark plugs, wires rotor etc. I found the wire in the distributor that grounds the plate to the points plate was broken and just laying in there barely touching
I re-soldered it to the base and the car runs excellent I have ordered a new base plate. but haven't changed it yet
Mostly because it continues to run exceptional anyway my 2 cents

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster