Mazda MX5 seats

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
Rugeley, staffordshire, UK   GBR
I have seen TR6's advertised with Mazda MX5 seats which have the benefit of head restraints and are allegedly more comfortable. Does anyone have experience of fitting or using these? I noticed that the MX5 seat has changed as well over the years so wonder if there is a preferred model/year to look for?
Thanks in anticipation!
Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, Tx, USA   USA
I can't speak for the TR6 seats, but the Miata seats are more comfortable than the TR4 seats. The preferred model is the 1st generation seats.
Rod

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    62.9 KB
image.jpeg

rrblizard Bob Blizard
MA, Acton, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Archie Da Triumph"
+1 on comfort. Mine have custom attachments made up by my wrench, but I understand Rick Patton has good adapters. Leather or vinyl seat covers are readily available. I'll post a picture of mine if I can find one later.

Bob Blizard

'72 TR6 CC782xx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, Arizona, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
Will also add my vote for Miata seats....comfortable, good headrest and can have head rest speakers. Put a set in my BGT when I had it and have also put a set in myTR6

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
There are lots of off-the-shelf kits to recover the Miata seats, but I can also recommend Mr Mike. They are custom made, so you can get pleating and piping options to match the original interior scheme.

http://www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm

He did seats for my TR8.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
That is all very helpful. I have now found a couple of companies that do this work near me, so have a clear way ahead...thanks all.

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
In reply to # 1495048 by darrellwalker There are lots of off-the-shelf kits to recover the Miata seats, but I can also recommend Mr Mike. They are custom made, so you can get pleating and piping options to match the original interior scheme.

http://www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm

He did seats for my TR8.

Mr. Mike is good.....he did my TR6 seats. I've also used leatherseats.com and was happy with them as well.

BartB Avatar
BartB Bart B
Pleasant Hill, Iowa, USA   USA
Hey Mike I just put Mazda Miata seats in my 70 Spitfire and they worked great.

The model year on the Mazda was 1990 (I think 90-97 are the same).

The top of the bottom seat cushion measured 20" across and the height left plenty of room.

Good luck

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
In reply to # 1495198 by BartB Hey Mike I just put Mazda Miata seats in my 70 Spitfire and they worked great.

The model year on the Mazda was 1990 (I think 90-97 are the same).

The top of the bottom seat cushion measured 20" across and the height left plenty of room.

Good luck

90 - 97 are very similar, but are slightly different on the front edge of the bottom cushion - bullnose vs waterfall style. There's a good explanation on Mr. Mikes site located here (scroll down a bit): http://www.mrmikes.com/miatahome.htm . I believe the waterfall style was 90 - 94 and the bullnose was 95 - 97, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I have the ones with removable headrests. Work well and you can remove the headrests if you want to use the toneau.
Cheers
Tim

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
thanks. That sounds like a good option
Cheers
Mike

healey43 Doug Pepper
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Mike, I have just fitted MX5 seats to my TR4 cut the headrest of, had new space runners made, & they are A1, a lot more comfortable then the original, I recommend them highly, cost Aus.$350 to buy & another Aus.$500 for retrimming, well worth it, Doug Brisbane. TR4 .

MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
Thanks for this. I am going to go down the MX5 route

TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
I converted to the Miata seats in June of 2016, and I used the machined adapter blocks from Patton Machine and found the installation to be quite easy. Mine was a budget installation… I bought used seats (of course) and did not re-cover them. They're in pretty good shape, thankfully. Just a little wear on the driver's outside bolster.

I will say that it felt very strange to drive the car with the new seats. My driver's seat was (as you can see in the image attached) really thrashed, and so with the Miata seats I felt like I was towering over the car. It took a few weeks to get used to my new elevated vantage point. But the seats are quite comfortable and while I don't find them very pleasing aesthetically (in the TR6) the headrests are likely to actually accomplish something in the event of a rear-ender and so they are a welcome upgrade!!

Good luck!

Attachments:
MiataSeatRails.jpg    42.6 KB
MiataSeatRails.jpg

PattonMountings.jpg    44.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RumpledRedPassengerSeat_Miata_01.jpg    54.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MIkeJTR6 Mike Jones
That is a great picture because it shows just how different these seats are. My TR6 seats do feel strange because the " headrest" sits somewhere against my mid spine whereas the Mazda ones are more modern and do support the neck. I guess I am going to buy a set of new seats and keep my old ones for the benefit of originality for future owners!
Thanks for your input
Regards
Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster