Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Everyone

I am in the process of removing the steering column lock on my 74. I have two questions –

1 – Can the shear bolts be replaced with standard bolts in case the lock needs to be replaced in the future?

2 – Is this a safe option?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Marc, I know this one well, except for the exact size replacement shear bolts.
I took my new shear bolts to OSH, replaced them with allen socket type bolts,
Figuring that at first a thief wont have a suitable allen wrench in his pocket,
so he has harder job ahead...
And should need arise that I remove the steering lock, I can use my handy allen key
and make short work of it.
the story:
I removed the steering lock by slipping the Fein Supercut into opening for tach and speedo
and slicing the shear bolt through the seam between top and bottom half
of the lock mechanism...
Installed new lock and key assembly.
Months later FOUND my misplaced original key set...
Then I have tried the original key set into the new ignition key lock...
THEY ARE THE SAME!
cosmic justice.
so yes, you can use a sensible pair of bolts. 1
a lot of tr6 have been stolen inspite of those shear head bolts.2
I don't recall the threads are SAE or metric, but that's easy to sort out.
regardez,
wes

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Thank you. I thought it would work but nice to have someone confirm.

What a job getting the old one out. I order a new lock from Moss. I think I will add an additional set of keys to the mix. Just in case.

Thanks again.

PS - you've never taken the interior light knob off. The knob in front of the gear sifter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Easier way is to use dremel too with cut off wheel on the top of shear bolts. Cut a slot across each head like a common screwdriver head. Use a short shank common screwdriver to hold it while you undo nut. You can reuse the bolts when putting back together. Use the dremel tool on the light sw too, most times its going to break getting off anyway, just buy new knob.
Marv

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
Mine came through with the heads intact! I never bothered torquing them to shear once I reassembled everything...

Scott

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Another choice is to leave off the lock and move the ignition switch to the dash with a TR4 plinth. It has 5 holes and one works well for that solution if you're not hung up on the interlock part.

Perry

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
The car did have an ignition switch beside the radio. I think the previous owner (or who installed the new ignition) messed up some additional wiring when they installed the new ignition switch. I've removed both ignition switches (original and replacement) and have a new one on order. I'm hoping, when I return the ignition to original specs the additional problems will be solved.

But you never know.

Thanks for the suggestion.

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Just be careful running without a steering lock on a car that came with one. Insurance companies can get a bit funny if you knowingly remove standard anti theft devices. Saying that I do like the ignition switch in the centre console
Cheers
Tim

South San Frncisco, california, USA   USA
Great point, was cool years ago
In went the key
Pull on the starting knob...
You are so right about steering lock disabling
And potential trouble with insurance ...
Thanks
Wes

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Good point. Any excuse, insurance companies have to refuse a claim they will. Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster