Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

roadie8 Avatar
roadie8 Gary Clarke
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Hi everyone, I am still on the hunt for a TR 6and looked at one yesterday. The commission number on the plate on the door differs from the one on the windshield pillar. The number is the same but the one on the windshield pillar is missing the O for overdrive. I want to be sure that the plate on the door hasn’t been restamped to make the car seem like it was a factory overdrive car. The VIN is CF840 U O on the door and CF840 U on the pillar.

The 2 plates on the firewall are T 912 CF and 981 CF.

Any help would be appreciated!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Something else you might want to check : Around here, you wouldn't be allowed to use either number. They have to match.

AFAIK, the only way to prove for certain would be to buy a copy of the build certificate. Mistakes were certainly made at the factory and it might have left with the 'O' on only one plate. But they wouldn't normally do that.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Randall is right about the discrepancy not being acceptable when registering a vehicle.

In addition:
Check the two rivets that secure the commission plate (as per my photo).

It is not easy to duplicate the factory rivets.

A modified commission plate is likely to be screwed on with Phillips head screws- that is not correct.

The firewall plates are not relevant for registration. One is a "body-in-white" stamping, the other is the tub number tag.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-27 01:29 PM by Sapphire.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF1133 (4).JPG    23.6 KB
DSCF1133 (4).JPG

roadie8 Avatar
roadie8 Gary Clarke
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Thanks very much to both of you. They all look properly riveted on. Sounds like the missing O on the door pillar one could be a sign that it wasn't born with the OD...

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Don't forget, though, the OD may have been added by the dealer. To my way of thinking, that would be "original" even though the factory didn't install it.

I've even heard stories of dealers robbing the overdrive from an 'LO' car and installing it on an 'L' just to make the sale. "I really like the one in BRG, but it has to have overdrive ..."

Of course, the OD was also available to the dealer as a kit from the factory, but they didn't always have one on hand and shipping was slow and uncertain.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
My Father bought a new Triumph Dolomite with O/D in 72. Upon delivery the O/D did not work, he was told that the issue would be fixed at it's first (free) service.

Long story short. The O/D consisted of just an O/D switch mounted on the 4 speed gear lever, there was no O/D fitted. I belive the commision plate showed O/D.

After much argument, the dealership refunded a sum of money, but the car never did get O/D.

modandrocker Steve N
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
Due to the unrest from the British Motor Industry our cars were probably built by disgruntled workers that resented their jobs and couldn't care less. That being said; My Official Certified Copy from BL Factory Record show all numbers correct except the paint color. Without a doubt in fact, my car was painted Mallard Blue from the Record but the Door Plate numbers are of Red (don't recall # and it's to late to go in the garage ) but you got the jist . By coincidence I painted the car years ago, Signal Red before noticing the mistake ! wow that's something! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
In reply to # 1494425 by roadie8 Thanks very much to both of you. They all look properly riveted on. Sounds like the missing O on the door pillar one could be a sign that it wasn't born with the OD...

That's what my thought was. The number is the same, just someone added the "O" to the one panel at some time- Get a sheet from BM Heritage, and see what it says- Use the number without the "O", and if it comes back nothing, resubmit with it... It could be as simple as a line error...

Scott

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Back in the day, overdrives were swapped in and out by the dealer along with hardtops and wire wheels. Wouldn't be surprised if dealer stamped plate with 0, wasn't that big of a deal back then. We had a local unauthorized dealer who would buy 6 MGBs at a time, have them delivered to Mobile, AL. Then hire 6 local college kids to drive them back to Florence and sell.
Marv

TRoutMac Avatar
TRoutMac Pete Chadwell
Bend, Oregon, USA   USA
This comment from Walt P caught my eye:

"It is not easy to duplicate the factory rivets."

This was in reference to the commission plate mounted to the B-post on the driver's side. The comment caught my attention because I still have not re-attached the commission plate to my '73 TR6 after my dad and I repainted the car in summer of 2016. It hasn't been a top priority, since it doesn't add any function, but I still have it and would like to re-install it soon. A while back when I thought I had some time I tried to rivet it back to the B-post, but I had some problems related to the size of the rivets or something. Plus, while I thought both holes were clear, the lower hole seemed to still have metal behind it. I set the project aside and it's been on the back-burner ever since. Like I said, not a huge priority.

But it sounds like you've been there, done that and so I wonder if I could get you to expand on your comment. What rivets do I need to re-attach that place correctly?

Thanks!

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1494901 by TRoutMac "It is not easy to duplicate the factory rivets."

it sounds like you've been there, done that and so I wonder if I could get you to expand on your comment. What rivets do I need to re-attach that place correctly?

Pete,
I have used rivets to perform auto body repairs.
I have never seen a rivet such as the one in question. That is why I commented, as above.

Today, rivets are mostly made of plastic. Do a web search on 'rivets for cars'. Many types to choose from.

The original Triumph commission plate rivet is likely a steel rivet.

Your best bet is to start here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=1a1h3up

Pete, one of my best friends lives in 97703. Is the smoke any better there than in August? Cheers, Walt

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 02:47 PM by Sapphire.

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I had to re-stamp and re-attach my commission plate after I restored my car. Had a machine shop stamp the numbers, and used regular rivets that look like the ones in the picture. The 67 Mustang I have has much different rivets that you can get from some suppliers. Haven't put that one back yet.

Long story short, if the car is a good one, and it has overdrive, and is what you want, it really doesn't matter about the missing O. Unless you are into concours correctness. If it's a driver, I say it doesn't matter.

Perry

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
just looked at one next door and he has a tag on the windscreen frame
-i know these frames are removable , so how is this a secure way of ID'ing a car?
-you could place it on any car , so what is the point to the window tag?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster